Brugmansia/Datura the same????

Juggles

Brugmansia/Datura the same????

Post by Juggles »

Hi, im going to ask another silly question: Is Brugmansia and Datura the same plant? I have been told loads of different stuff, yes they are, no their not. And theres stuff about Angels Trumpets! Whats that about? Are they from the same family, but not the same plant or what. They look stunning a really fancy getting one, but as I dont know much about them, am holding off. Can someone help. Thank You
countrylover

Re: Brugmansia/Datura the same????

Post by countrylover »

Daturas are annuals, Brugmansias-the ones producing wooden trunks and branches, you can grow them for several years
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not a silly question as there is much confusion about them. The confusion starts as they are both known as Angels Trumpets, but they are different plants and families. The major difference for the average gardener is that Datura is a shrubby annual, and Brumansia is a Half hardy tree, up to about 40 feet tall.

I'm not sure where it is but someone put a pic of a Yellow Brug in Madeira and it must have had 1000 blooms. Quite an imppresive sight. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by BrunoCork »

Juggles...you'll find some info here http://www.angelstrumpets-datura.co.uk/ ... ia-datura/
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This was on gardeners world live on friday on the plant swap and datura is another name for the bugsmania they are both the same.
Also datura's can also be perenials depending on variety, and hardiness. The ones I am growing can form into a 5-6 ft bush. I do have to state though that it isnt a woody variety. So the 5-6 ft bush would be in a warmer climate. I am growing the purple datura. These are already nearing a ft and a half already.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think most Brugmansia flowers point down and Datura flowers point upwards .
Steph

Post by Steph »

derrick wrote:I think most Brugmansia flowers point down and Datura flowers point upwards .
Most people say daturas are annuals & weeds, whereas brugs are something to aspire to...
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

They all used to be in one group,but got seperated a few years back.As Country Lover says,annuals are Datura's & perrenials are Brugsmansia.I personally think sanguinea is the best,doesn't have any scent,but what a flower.Saw one on Tresco in 1997 that was about 20+ feet tall,it was the re-growth from the cold winter of 1987.

One small tip,never get any sap in your eye.I did,only felt a little impact on my eye,I had been cutting back some frost damage & threw a piece away,a droplet of sap went into my eye.It dilates the pupil,boy is it bloody painful.The whole black pupil swells up & covers virtually the whole of the colored part of the eye.The pain is caused by the excessive amount of light getting into the eye.I was actually wearing sunglasses whilst working my machine,such was the pain.It went on for 4 days.I have never since grown a Datura or a Brug.

metalhammer.
Juggles

Post by Juggles »

Thanks everyone, Ok So Daturas are annuals and Brugmansias are perennials. Daturas seem quite expensive at (£9-£10) a go for a annual, so can you take cuttings or collect seed? Are they difficult to look after. I quite fancy the Brugmansia, but as thier half hardy how would you over winter them? Popped in the greenhouse or covered in fleece. Or as it can be quite mild here in Norwich can I get away with nothing? Mind u after the last winter, perhaps not!!!
BrunoCork - Thanks for the link, was really helpful. Didnt realise they were related to the tomato family.
Sanatic1234 - Ive been looking at 2 Daturas, but they don't state the variety though, one is a bright yellow double and the other is a white double with purple edging. Any ideas?
Metalhammer - That sounding bl...y sore! What sort did you grow.
What about feeding? Do they need pinching out? Sorry for all the questions.
icon_sunny
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I was growing Brugsmansia sanguinea.I'm afraid they all got chucked in the bin afterwards,several were about 5' tall.I did actually have glasses on as well,can't see to well with out them,just as likely to prune off my thumb.

The pain caused by the light getting into my eye is something I don't want to go through in a hurry again.

metalhammer.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:This was on gardeners world live on friday on the plant swap and datura is another name for the bugsmania they are both the same.
San, I am surprised that Gardener's World is giving out mis-information. How could you poissibly know what you are buying if two totally different plants were given the same name. :roll: I'd be well hacked off if I bought a £10 plant expecting it to be a perennial and it died after one year. :roll:

Anita, You can grow Datura from seed, but I think it will be a bit late for this year. Not heard of cuttings but I don't see why not.

Brugmansia are grown from cuttings which root readily in water at this time of year. Many different varieties are sold as cuttings on ebay, but check the feedback as some I've heard supplied cutting that were so small they were not viable.

This is quite a popular subject See Search HERE

Mike, Brug/ Datura sap is highly poisonous, so I am not surprised at the reaction. It is also said to induce hallusinations, but the majority of those trying it die. Definately one to wash you hands after handling. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Hi Anita,

I grow Datura metaloides(sp?) single white with a fine lilac edge and mine have always come through the Winter in the ground. I didn't think they would survive this Winter so sowed some more just in case, and the ones in the ground are not far behind the ones I've grown from seed. One year I dug where my Datura was before it popped up and was amazed at the size of the tubers/rhizomes it had made. I won't be sowing again for a while, I'll rely on them coming through again, no matter what the weather.
Daturas are easy to look after, just give them plenty of room to grow, they are nothing like you see in a pot when they are in the ground.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well that put the cat amongst the pidgeons Di :lol:

Just did a search and found this

Datura innoxia, Datura meteloides
Family: Solanaceae
Thorn Apple, Moonflower, Toloache, Jimson Weed, Angel's Trumpet, Stinkweed, Pricklyburr
Origin: Central America
small shrub 2-5 ft semi-shade moderate

Low lying, short-lived perennial, usually only growing 1-3ft in height, but may spread out several feet.

So, maybe annual and short lived perenial have got blurred around the edges. The Datura I bought from Akamba last year is definately deceased after being in a frost free greenhouse.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Bad news on yours Dave, but yes I understood these to be short lived perenniels, but never expected them to come through this Winter. Pre 2008 I more or less could guarantee they would come back again. The first year I had them I pulled them all up not realising they would overwinter :roll:

I love the seedheads on these, sort of like a conker shell, prickly, hence the name. The seed I've collected off these in the past have always come good.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I read that when handling the seed pods you must always wear gloves as there is a big chance of you being pricked with the poison as the spikes are very sharp. I am cutting my seed pods off at the minute to stop the plant from self seeding. If anybody wants any seeds though I will be more than happy to keep some pods on my plants till they are ready to be removed and send some out.

Dave. I am confused after watching gardeners world to be honest. It was carol that said about the datura also being known as a bugsmania. But she did do a swap so you may even see it in her garden on the next show?