Has anyone tried Arenga Engleri or Archontophoenix cunningha

Skybluelemon

Has anyone tried Arenga Engleri or Archontophoenix cunningha

Post by Skybluelemon »

Hi,
Has anyone tried Arenga Engleri or Archontophoenix cunninghamii in the uk yet and if so what were your findings?
Attachments
Arenga Engleri.jpg
archontophoenix cunninghamii.jpg
Nigel Fear

Re: Has anyone tried Arenga Engleri or Archontophoenix cunni

Post by Nigel Fear »

I HAD[though live in hope that it might re-grow from the centre] an Archontophoenix for around 4 years until this winter, overwintering it in a shed at the end of the garden, they tolerate a short frost only, around -3 will start to damage them, any prolonged frost or even slightly colder will kill them, or at best severely damage them.

Love those pictures, are they of your garden? 8)
Skybluelemon

Post by Skybluelemon »

No they are google image search. I wish...

I won't buy one then after last winter. I Live in nottingham so not very warm.

This is my garden.. http://www.pbase.com/edgegallery/rachel
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I tried a small Arenga engleri, but despite surviving winters it hardly grew. I think they need more summer heat than we get in the UK...

I grew a few Archontophoenix cunninghamiana in my garden for several years, but all but one small one were killed after the last two cold winters...

No chance outside in Nottingham, but they do make a good tub plant that you could over winter either in a conservatory (or just bring indoors on the coldest nights/days) as they can take cold weather...
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I have a couple of three year old Archontophoenix grown from seed that are outside this summer but will spend the winter in the conservatory.
Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.jpg
Once they reach 2m tall they will become presents for the Living Rainforest up the road from me. I think they are the most beautiful palms when mature.

P.S. I also have grown A.alexandrae but they don't grow as fast as the cunninghamiana
Andy
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Give the money to a charity.Plenty have tried both outside & failed.I can just about get growth in greenhouse with an Arenga,but the Archontophoenix,well they just go crispy & die.

I think Dave Poole might've got growth from an Arenga in Torquay.

metalhammer.
Jellybob

Post by Jellybob »

I have two A.Cunningha. One in a pot and one planted outside. The one in a pot comes inside overwinter, the one outside is planted at the front of the house. Pot one is growing nice, sun brunt frond tips though. The outside one was planted last August...then we had THAT winter! It was protected and has grown a complete frond and a new one is coming out, no burning from the sun though. The pot one is about twice as big, they were the same size when I got them. Will it live long term outside? I doubt it, but I am going to do my best to keep it going, it is one of my favorite palms.
:D
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I know they tried Archie's outside @ Abbotsbury & they failed with them.One of the gardeners planted out some he'd raised.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

those one leaf arengas you gave me still have one leaf and are alive,survived where a lot else failed last winter but as you predicted,havent hardly moved at all
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I have one in the greenhouse that I got from Amulree a couple of years back,just starting it's first new leaf,didn't make one last year at all.The plant is about 30" or so tall.Other one I got from Athelas plants last autumn hasn't move an inch.Gets hot enough in there,there is something else we are missing concerning Arenga engleri.

I'm beginning to wonder if it needs much more feeding,could be a gross feeder.Will try next year,a bit late to start now.

have given up with Archie's,put the money in the lifeboat collection,well you are wasting it trying with an Archie,so decided to put the money to a better use than another palm for the heap.

metalhammer.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Bangalow's are ok here during an average winter, normally receiving minimal damage & they grow fast during the summer. I have planted another one this summer & I'm hopeful my damaged one will recover fully too...
Even if I only get another few years growth from them before they are killed in our next cold winter (hoping that it wont be this winter!) then that's ok for me, they soon become decent sized plants & I'd rather have them on "borrowed time" than not grow them at all...

They did have at least one mature one on Tresco, but that was killed in the cold winter of 1987, so if we don't don't another really cold winter for another 30 years there is just a chance that they could get big here...

Here's a pic from last year of two of my now sadly deceased ones :cry: The one on the left was planted out as an 18 inch tall plant in 2003 & actually overtook the size of the other which was bought bigger (5ft) in 2005...
Attachments
garden3.jpg
garden3.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
tropicaluk

Post by tropicaluk »

Skybluelemon wrote:No they are google image search. I wish...

I won't buy one then after last winter. I Live in nottingham so not very warm.

This is my garden.. http://www.pbase.com/edgegallery/rachel
I'm loving your garden! That jungle hut is immense, one of the best I've seen! You've done done such an amazing job on the decking and path too, it all looks great with the bamboo.

Wish I had your practical skills, but I'm more of a buyer than a builder.

Rob
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sames as the other replies really, Archontophoenix need bringing in for winter in all but the most favoured parts of the country and Arenga englerii just doesnt get enough heat to grow here.
The Arengas seem quite hardy and I did manage keep a couple outside for a few years.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

metalhammer wrote:Give the money to a charity.Plenty have tried both outside & failed.I can just about get growth in greenhouse with an Arenga,but the Archontophoenix,well they just go crispy & die.
I think Dave Poole might've got growth from an Arenga in Torquay.
metalhammer.
Yes, I grow both engleri and micrantha, but both were seriously hammered by this past winter. They have spears ATM and badly shredded leaves so neither are truly hardy even here. Mike's right - don't even think about them in Notts - they simply won't survive. Both are slow, although micrantha is the faster of the two Arengas. You really need to be a dyed-in-the-wool palm enthusiast to persevere with these. As for Archontophoenix, only for the south coast or maybe the London 'heat-sink' and then there's no guarantee. Mine went from 6" to over 6' in 6 years and then back to nothing in 6 months. It is no more.

Keep both palms as 'patio palms' and bring them into frost-free or slightly heated cover for winter. They will then become rewarding specimens in time, although you'll have to gradually inure them to the outside air and direct sun each year.
Skybluelemon

Post by Skybluelemon »

Thanks guys amazing answers. nottm definately a no no for those then. Other tah the Butia capitata and the guaranteed to die Phoenix there are'nt really any Feather palms to grow. I had a phoenix a couple of years back and it died so i am loathed to try that again especially after last winter was even worse. This march i bought a largish Butia capitata in the hope that it will be ok. I am waiting to see how that one fares this winter before i get another.