Brugmansia says yes to weather

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Brugmansia says yes to weather

Post by Dave Brown »

My Brugmansia Charles Grimaldii is lurvin' this weather. It's also getting plenty of water and feed and that really seems to be paying off. This is the sceond flush this summer.

How's everyone else's doing :?: Is it a bumper year for early flowers :?:
Attachments
20100719 Brugmansia Flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Brugmansia says yes to weather

Post by Steph »

Dave Brown wrote:My Brugmansia Charles Grimaldii is lurvin' this weather. It's also getting plenty of water and feed and that really seems to be paying off. This is the sceond flush this summer.

How's everyone else's doing :?: Is it a bumper year for early flowers :?:
That looks a lovely plant, mine are between flushes at the moment but budding nicely, just as well 'cos I am itching to post pictures.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Look forward to the pics Steph icon_thumright

I suppose it may depend on whether people managed to overwinter a big plant, as my winter grown cuttings have not flowered yet. But are getting ginormous leaves, easily a foot long. Even if you only have the space to overwinter one frost free. The early display is well worth it. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by HarryandNess »

WoW! That's beautiful Dave!
I bought a young one from a garden centre for £7 a couple of days ago. I think it was a bargain?? but it needs a little help and I'm not sure what to do. It was very pot bound so I repotted it into some JIs No.3 and perlite. It's about 1ft tall, has a couple of brown/yellow marks on the leaves, one faded flower and 3 fat seed pods. So, my questions are:
Do I remove the faded flower or leave it to drop off?
How often should I feed/water it? I was told that too much water would kill it.....
Thanks
Ness
100_7719.jpg
100_7719.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Steph

Post by Steph »

Sorry to tell you Harry and Ness but thats a Datura, similar but different.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Aw no, really??? My own mistake then...it was labelled 'Angels Trumpet' ...I have assumed it was a brugmansia....an important lesson then for the inexperienced! Thanks Steph!!
Ness :(
Bob

Post by Bob »

The Charles Grimaldii is looking great Dave. icon_thumleft

My Arborea as last July is saying 'no' to the weather here. It started pushing a flower out on Saturday, into driving wind and rain, which still continues.
The white flower has started to brown off, even though its barely half way out of the pod. They must love living with me.

Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I planted mine out in March and it's been flowering non stop since about late April. Just snapped this pic - sorry, I can't include the fragrance.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Brugmansia 004b.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Harryandness. Yeah that is a datura i have 6 of them in my garden, you can cut off those seed pods though to encourage new flowers so that all the energy from the plant doesn't go into the seeds pods. This is what I'm doing and i have had flowers constant for 2 months now. Although the flowers do like to open up late evening and early morning and close up during the day time.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

sanatic1234 wrote:Harryandness. Yeah that is a datura i have 6 of them in my garden, you can cut off those seed pods though to encourage new flowers so that all the energy from the plant doesn't go into the seeds pods. This is what I'm doing and i have had flowers constant for 2 months now. Although the flowers do like to open up late evening and early morning and close up during the day time.
Thanks San I'll try that! Even though the flower was fading when I bought it, it smelt gorgeous - so I'll try and encourage some more!
Cheers - Ness
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine fade and dry out, but then they always come back especially once the seed pods have been removed. Mine are growing into a small kind of bush and the stem must be a good inch in width, i must take a picture a post it on here.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Finally pushing out some decent blooms. Lovely vanilla scent.

Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Nice Brug there Bob and very healthy. It clearly shows the forked leader, critical for bloom formation.

Cheers, Barrie.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Nice Brug there Bob and very healthy. It clearly shows the forked leader, critical for bloom formation.

Cheers, Barrie.
Thanks Barrie, taken a long time to get there, but worth the wait. icon_cheers
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Some very nice pics above, brug flowers really have the 'wow' factor don't they?

My Charles Grimaldi was flowering in June last year, but is only just starting to bud this year - it may be objecting to being in a pot as it gets bigger, time to repot it perhaps.