HollyGate

metalhammer

HollyGate

Post by metalhammer »

Has anybody been to HollyGate Cactus nursery recently?.They have a 10,000sq.foot cactus garden underglass.Have been there many years back,did find it was still open by Googleing HollyGate.It's in Ashington,Sussex,not far from Big Plant nursery.

metalhammer.
paul h

Re: HollyGate

Post by paul h »

Hi Metal Hammer
Not sure if it helps but I have heard that is has gone greatly into decline since the owner death a year or so ago and is not what it was with many specimen plants lost,a shame as was on my visit list.... :(
rexwedge

Post by rexwedge »

Shut now I believe. All local signage has been covered. Don't know what happened to the collection of plants in the main glasshouses. Shame I was until recently a BCSS member and all local branches visited this collection often.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Obviously there website is out of date then.Oh well,won't waste the petrol driving the 80-odd miles there.

metalhammer.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I last went there about 3 years ago and it had declined quite a bit. Very sorry to hear that it has now closed - I used to go there every summer when I was younger. I visited Eau Brink Cactus Nursery (near Kings Lynn) last summer - it will be a long way from you Metalhammer, but the owner was very friendly and showed me his collection. I think he had inherited several other collections from friends who had passed away. Probably best to call first before visiting.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Last time I went ( a couple of years ago) it was then closing down. They were digging up & selling plants from the main collection, a lot had already gone.

Although they did say they weren't going to get rid of it all, but some of it was far to big to move anyway. So don't know what happened to what was left.

Melissa
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Tried e-mailing them from there website,mail got bounced back.If I lived closer I'd drive down there to have a nosey around.

metalhammer.