How to leave a potgrown alocasia odora unattended for month

nicebutdim

How to leave a potgrown alocasia odora unattended for month

Post by nicebutdim »

I need to leave my odora which is about two years old unnatended for four weeks in October and don't know whether to plant it in the garden in a protected area or leave it in the house ,unwatered.Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?I am reluctant to take it out of it's pot and put it in the ground .
Mick C

Re: How to leave a potgrown alocasia odora unattended for m

Post by Mick C »

You could plunge the pot. Maybe dig the hole over-size and fill around & below with mp compost so that this can draw moisture from the ground around it. Best I can come up with anyway.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: How to leave a potgrown alocasia odora unattended for m

Post by Dave Brown »

nbd, Alocasia odora is quite cold tolerant here, although not winter hardy outside, but stays planted in the ground until mid November at least. I would put under a canopy to protect leaves form any early frost. They can take dry if not warm :wink:

Difficult month to plan for though as can be as warm as mid 20s, or couple of degrees of frost. I think on the whole I'd take out of the pot and plunge in the ground in a sheltered place. Then if warm and dry moisture in the surrounding soil willstop it drying out too much :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright