aloe vera

themes

aloe vera

Post by themes »

This is my one and only aloe thread. I have had this aloe for a few years brought as a tiny little thingy...I have propogated quite a few now and given some away. Is it good to still leave in the pot or will the aloe snap under its weight. Don't know that much about these sort of plants except that they rot :shock: what would you do?
Attachments
IMAG0154.jpg
RogerBacardy

Re: aloe vera

Post by RogerBacardy »

Maybe repot, just to keep it tidy as it seems to be quite leggy. As I guess you've experienced, they transplant very well.

I'm terrible with Aloe Vera, I can't bear to kill any so ever year I get loads to contend with. I have 1 mother plant that I keep out as a bedding plant. Weighs a tonne due to the heavy, fleshy leaves.

Here it is, in my arid section:
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

By the looks of it Mo, you've got several pups growing in that pot along with the parent plant. I got several pups from my one last year and had to give them away to friends and neighbours. They seem to divide and pup like the agave americana except there are alot more pups (in my case anyway).

If I where you i'd take it out the pot and divide it all up into individual plants and repot them using a cactus soil mix. Give them a sunny windowsill and water sparingly and you should be on to a winner (well, several :lol: )

Edit: also remove all the dead leaves.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I had an Aloe Vera plant live for a few years outside in a window box, but last winter finally finshed it off... :(
themes

Post by themes »

to think that you can get away with leaving aloe vera outside some years is mouthwatering prospect...I would be bankrupt if I lived there with all the potential thingies you can get away with...stop teasing me and making me jealous icon_thumbdown
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mo,why dont you cut the straggly bit off and plant it up.if i can re-root aloe cuttings,anybody can
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Ours is just sending up a flower spike...I thought it was unusual for them to flower outside in the uk...is it? Mind you it is sheltered...but it now has black spots on it too...any suggestions...could it be lacking water?
Ness
bev

Post by bev »

HarryandNess wrote:Ours is just sending up a flower spike...I thought it was unusual for them to flower outside in the uk...is it?
Ness
had about 4 or 5 flowers on my clump this year ness, so not uncommon.

cheers

lee
themes

Post by themes »

redsquirrel wrote:mo,why dont you cut the straggly bit off and plant it up.if i can re-root aloe cuttings,anybody can
I've given 6 away...theirs about 10 aloe vera in their I started with 2. I am unsure how they grow it is trying to plant itself and making steps out of the pot. I don't want to do anything unless I have too, do I..is what I am asking
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Oooh Good, something else to look forward to every summer then, hopefully! Cheers Lee!
Ness
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

themes wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:mo,why dont you cut the straggly bit off and plant it up.if i can re-root aloe cuttings,anybody can
I've given 6 away...theirs about 10 aloe vera in their I started with 2. I am unsure how they grow it is trying to plant itself and making steps out of the pot. I don't want to do anything unless I have too, do I..is what I am asking
if keeping it indoors,i think it will be strong enough to support itself.be different if you were putting it out in the wind
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

There are quite a few aloes worth growing for bedding out, Aloe Maculata being one. Pic attached of mine in flower back in May. A grower of Aloe Ferox in Herts posts regular pictures of his 35 year old plant on another forum (BCSS) which is too big to move indoors. he protects it in winter with bubble wrap and an old carpet and it even survived the last winter in this way, It's never flowered for him though. My A. Ferox are 4 years old from seed but growth can be acceleralted by bedding them out. I also had A. Aristata in flower this year which is a small hardy aloe well suited to an arid bed or rockery and actually worth growing for it's flowers alone.

From Silverhill Seeds this year I have seedlings of Aloe Polyphylla, A. Reitzii, A. Ecklonis, A. Transvaalensis, A. Striatula & A. Mutabilis. All of these have some degree of hardiness potential i.e. zone 7 or there are known hardy ecotypes. I'm told A. Mutabilis is a contender alongside A. Striatula & A. Aristata for permanent outdoor planting.
spring 2010 plants 055a.jpg
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Pic attached of one of my baby 4 year old Aloe Ferox.
Aloe Feroxa.jpg
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

themes wrote:
You should really think about seperating them and potting them up, they may be able to survive but there not going to be very happy all cramped together like that.