Cyperus Papyrus from seed

tropical-pete

Cyperus Papyrus from seed

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has given this plant a go from seed, and if so, how did you get on? Was it easy to grow? Did it get to a nice size in its first year? Any pics?

Thanks, take care

Pete
simon

Re: Cyperus Papyrus from seed

Post by simon »

Pete, They are apparently easy to germinate. Jungle Seeds say that they will reach 3ft in one season but mature plants are 6 to 7ft. The problem will be over wintering them if you want to get them to full height. I'm sure someone will say they have successfully overwintered it in a heated greenhouse.

I have C. Alternifolius seeds this year, which is supposed to be easier to overwinter but only reaches a couple of feet tall.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

I grew it many years ago, got two nice plants from the seed I had. Lost one over the next winter, the other came through ok, and got to about 3ft tall, I think I lost it to Red Spider Mite in the end, haven't tryed them again.

Melissa
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

They are quite easy to germinate and can get to 2 or 3ft by the end of the summer. I failed to get any of mine through a winter on two attempts. I switched to Cyperus alternifolius after the last attempt, much easier to care for.
Andy
Mark

Post by Mark »

Easy to germinate ( on wet blotting paper )butter to get a small plant thru the winter.

My dwarf one goes through ok as does the tall one but they were both bought as full sized plants and not seed raised by me.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all, thanks for your advice & experiences. I'll give it a go as an annual then this year, and I'll try overwintering them with several different method, with the hope of getting one or two through to next year. I'll keep you updated!

Thanks, take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here is the pot I got during the week all split up and popped into cells for growing on.
DSCF1112.JPG
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Wow cool Mark - shame them pots of it aren't more readily available - it hardly seems growing them from seed with them around :lol: Anyways, I'll order some seed off ebay soon and get some going. Keep us updated!

Thanks, take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pete the pot was only £1.49 ( I think ) and theres hundreds in the pot. Seeds would cost double that and you would only get 20 if you were lucky.

I have never seen them for sale like this before anywhere.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Mark wrote:Pete the pot was only £1.49 ( I think ) and theres hundreds in the pot. Seeds would cost double that and you would only get 20 if you were lucky.
I know, but as it's not a chain GC, it doesn't look like there'll be any locally so I might as well get them going from seed - I'll search around though.

Thanks, take care

Pete
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I couldn't get these to germinate at all. I think I either kept them too wet or covered them too deeply. The seeds were so tiny, just looked like dust to me.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Di, The easiest way to germinate Papyrus seeds is to lay blotting paper( if your posh)or kitchen towel ( if your not ) inside of a jam jar soak it with warm water and then tip the seeds onto it put on the lid and leave it on the window cill.

Sorry forgot to say lay it on its side when you put the paper in other wise its a mission to get it out when it germinates.

When it starts sprouting slide out the paper and just lay it ontop of the compost in your pot. The roots will soon grow thru and into the soil and the paper rots away.
Easy Peasy :D
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Thanks for the germinating tips, Mark - I see there's come seeds on ebay.com, and they would appear to be the cheapest so I'll be making my purchase ASAP :lol:

Thanks, take care

Pete
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

sorry for bringing up an old topic but was just wondering:

I brought a few papyrus seeds for my little girl to grow as she loves all thing Egyptian and she loved the idea of growing these. Ive got them in a tub with the damp tissue paper but just wondering how long do these take ruffly to germinate?

Kind regards
Steve :wink:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My notebook dates from last year are

09-Mar Sowed
18-Mar Germinated
14-Apr Pricked out