T-rex (Tetrapanax)

The Codfather

Re: T-rex (Tetrapanax)

Post by The Codfather »

I know its not everyones cuppa but this would do me.....
http://www.gardensandplants.com/uk/plan ... nt_id=3274
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

do me too.better than facing dragonheart next door with a hand full of pups in her hand
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Dragonheart hahaaaaaaaaa! With a rolling pin and frying pan!

Her "IS THIS PLANT YOURS!!??"
You "i dont know lets ASk it!"
Her "whack" :lol:

Good soil in a small pot is key i guess, lots of water and nutrients, the one i dug out the ground had about 10 leaves at least three feet accross! :D and the main rootball was about 1.5ft cubed.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

tropical bob, i would also suggest making a nettle feed for the t-rex as this is good for foliage. I used it last year and had some good results, i shall be making some more this year. And on the plus side its free :wink:
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Thanks for the tip, i remember reading a thread about that, i dont have any nettles near me though :(
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Tropical Bob wrote:Thanks for the tip, i remember reading a thread about that, i don't have any nettles near me though :(
Just look for some over grown abandoned area if there is any near by, you will only need a good handful. :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:I know its not everyones cuppa but this would do me.....
http://www.gardensandplants.com/uk/plan ... nt_id=3274
That is not a standard Tetrapanax papyrifer. That is TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer REX) as far as I can tell. The standard form is not as indented on the leaves and not as hardy I have been informed.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

I got home last night and underneath my T-Rex I found a Post bag and one shoe and a lead and coller, you don't need to feed it it will grab a snake as and when it needs it, who will be next :lol: :lol:
Dave I've also heard that about the T-Rex(That's the plant where it's name is just T-Rex without the Tetrapanax papyrifer or rice or paper plant)it seems that we all must be growing the Tetrapanax papyrifer for them to survive the winters and temps we've been getting over the last few years.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Nick, T.rex is a shortened version of its full name.. Tetrapanax papyrifa 'rex', the 'rex' bit is a variation of the standard Tetrapanax papyrifa.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Oops :oops: :oops:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

arrive yesterday, 7.5 ltr rex
(incase you didnt see this pic in the welcome thread)

i have this in my kitchen atm and i'm hoping i can get it stirring back to life so when it comes time to plant it will be raring to go.
any idea what conditions and treatment i should give it to achieve this?
also how long until i should see any growth at all?
(i'm so impatient :DD)
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Make sure it doesnt dry out and give it as much light and warmth as you can, come springtime it will get big dont you worry! :D
mattvg

Post by mattvg »

just flicked through this thread very interesting i love these plants. I don't know if this has been posted before or if this is a member of HTUK but i came across this http://www.pbase.com/pillharrier/tetrapanax_rex a while ago got some good pics
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i was just looking through that last night.
i am a little skeptical if i can get it to quite that size here, especially with the past few winters.

i am digging the area (heavy clay) to add soil improver, sharp sand and chicken poo.

i was thinking of mixing in some small stones/gravel in aswell, will that improve the drainage or restrict the roots?

how fair down do you think i should dig?
how is best to use chiken poo pellets?