T-rex (Tetrapanax)

Mick C

Re: T-rex (Tetrapanax)

Post by Mick C »

Been having similar thoughts myself Bob, don't fancy trying to explain to the neighbours why they have been over-run by triffids.

Maybe something like these might be the answer:

www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/ ... _Pots.html
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they wouldnt be so bad if one popped up in the direction they were going,but reports are showing they can go a long way before you know how far they have gone.if i get any offspring from the dug up plants,that round up will go straight in icon_thumright
ps,pete,if you didnt get one,i have 1 spare now icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i killed 20 leylandii with 1ft trunks by criss cross with a chainsaw then just poured glyphosate in the slots

When i was looking into killing my fig tree (lovely tree 6ft tall and grew lots of figs, but right next to my drain) i read that you can bore a hole in the trunk and fill it with diesel, top it up for a few days and the diesel will soak right to the end of the roots, then set the diesel on fire and the roots will slow burn like an incense stick for a few days! trouble is fires can appear on your lawn where roots go near the surface up to about 30 foot away with a fig tree!!! :shock:

my fig tree got the glyphosate treatment
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Ooops sorry got usernames mixed up and had to edit this haha! :lol:

Thing is with putting it in a sunken pot is, it would have to have drainage holes in the bottom to stop root rot, so tiny lil roots would go throught those holes then grow bigger and push the plastic apart making bigger holes and crack the plastic and.. :shock: oh crappe id wish id put it above ground ... and id like to be able to sleep at night :lol:

plus ive seen what a bamboo can do to a plastic pot with thinner roots/runners , split it straight down the side :shock:

I love chemicals! icon_cheers And the child piromaniac in me loves the idea of burning one hahaaa! :twisted:

Mick yes, i was thinking of using a pot similar but with holes only in the bottom then puting it in a solid tray as im going to put mine on decking and dont want roots going below that :shock: Ill probably decorate the pot with some fence reed covering or something similar :D
Last edited by Tropical Bob on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well, I think this is now getting out of proportion as some people are still talking about getting Phylostacchis nigra, and that really is delinquent compared to TRex.

TRex pups are easily pulled up unlike bamboo. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tropical Bob »

I wouldnt mind if it put the odd pup up in my garden, maybe 1 or 2 a year but not in next doors. Ive got my Sasa palmata in a pot too :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Bob, TRex would appear to be no worse than many Prunus for suckering, but I have never heard of people panicing about planting flowering Cherries, and having to kill any tree they are growing. Also the suckers are soft and pull out easily.

My Trex last year that had the growth points mushed produced maybe 50 suckers between April and June and no more after then. The early ones took a while to get out as I was trying to remove them with roots as additional plants, but once I decided to just pull them out it was just general weeding in the area.

There are many flowering/seeding exotics that cause much more of a time problem with seedlings appearing everywhere, particularly Trachycarpus fortunei. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

My big one is in it's raised bed, it's two concrete blocks high by 12ft long, and at one end it's maybe three feet wide and at the other it's about one and a half feet wide, my T-Rex is currently about 4ft something tall, and last spring it put up about 8 pups, and they snap off dead easy, even while trying to carefully dig them out, they snap off just like that, and afterwards they never come back.The others that are in the ground around my garden are all dead from half way down there small trunks, now again I am expecting them to pup again this spring, as long as the pups come up where I don't mind some will stat, if I get to many of them, I'll simply snap or pull them up, and in the grass the mower will take care of them, and once they've been cut or snaped off, it's over for that pup, it is not like couch grass and regrows just as fast again, not with the T-rex, it is controled really easerly without any real hardship, so don't go ripping all your T-Rexes out and burn them, they are a wonderful plant and give a tropical garden a real tropical look,if one of my Bamboo's is really dead after this winter, I may put a pup into it's pot that holds 350 Ltr's of compost that's above ground and see how and what it does in that situation, but I would not know the resaults for a few years down the road.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i appreciate they pull out easily Dave but my neighbour on the left of us would blow her stack if she found roots like those running through her lawn. the guy on the other side wouldnt give a hoot and encourage it,laughing all the way.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Good morning Darren, I have got possibly 25 of them in my garden, and I've not seen any roots on the surface,the roots seem to be fairly deep, and the pups come from way down, besides the leafs of pups are only very small and could be cut off with out even knowing one was ever there possibly.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

yes Nick,i saw yesterday how the roots go down but the runner under the plant isnt that deep,i mean the bit the plant shoots from.you can see in Daves pics how easy that can be found. The lady in question is a fanatical gardener,she would look it up and probably find out how they can spread,thats when my problems would start.its not worth the hassle here.open plan front garden,it would be obvious where it came from.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:yes Nick,i saw yesterday how the roots go down but the runner under the plant isnt that deep,i mean the bit the plant shoots from.you can see in Daves pics how easy that can be found. The lady in question is a fanatical gardener,she would look it up and probably find out how they can spread,thats when my problems would start.its not worth the hassle here.open plan front garden,it would be obvious where it came from.
Better not plant anything what seeds then :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

In that case Darren it would be :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i cant describe the problems it might cause.yes,we both have seeding plants either side of the fence,so long as it fits in with both gardens, everything is amicable but hers is a dainty flowery garden,just the thought of trex running amok under her beds would put the hitler helmet on.
to be fair to her,i dont think id want any of them in my garden if it was as well manicured as hers.
its just not worth it. i will probably have one round the back now in a huge container,ive still got a biggy from my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that carked it.
as for pulling up seedlings, you know its out if you dont want it.
with trex,you dont know where the next one will pop up.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I can see your problem Darren, it's not worth it if it's going to cause aggrevation with your neighbours. Always best to be on good terms.

God knows what my 'new' neighbours are going to say in Spring when they pop up again. I did have a word with their Son, he's refurbished the house, and apologised in advance for any stray pups that might come up in Spring :ahhh!: he did say his parents would just go over with the mower :shock:

Do plants have squatters rights :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.