T-rex (Tetrapanax)

Tropical Bob

Re: T-rex (Tetrapanax)

Post by Tropical Bob »

It is a wonderfull plant and im sure many can grow it without problems, but for me, i have a big park over the back and it would be straight in there under thorny bushes forever spreading along the back of the gardens, in countless neat neighbours gardens and seeing as im the only "jungle lover" round here its not worth the hassle for me.

Thats why i installed the bamboo root barrier in the first place, to contain its spreading. Unfortunately digging it up i found that one biggish root (the plants nearly 3ft high stem) had gone straight out horizontally from the plant a foot under ground, hit the root barrier, gone vertically down against the barrier and underneath it, then vertically back up along the barrier to a foot underground then carried on horizontally as if the barrier hadnt been there at all. Smart plant :lol: So for me its staying in a pot where i can enjoy it :D

If you can get away with putting it in the ground then im happy for you! icon_cheers
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

If anyone is getting rid of T-Rex pups, I would love to have one. I have the perfect spot for one. :wink:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

by the sounds of it....it will go where it want, not just the one spot :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Tetrapanax papyrifa 'rex' wont reach its true potential in a pot, everyone Ive ever seen in a pop has been small and stunted.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

some of us chickens will have to make do with that Ade icon_thumright or get some paulawnia like ive seen on here
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Stunted will do me fine too. I was quite taken aback when I saw Melissa's monster, a fantastic tree at their place where they have plenty of room, but not what I want to let myself in for in my suburban garden. Or my neighbours, who I am currently on good terms with.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

DiCasS wrote: God knows what my 'new' neighbours are going to say in Spring when they pop up again. I did have a word with their Son, he's refurbished the house, and apologised in advance for any stray pups that might come up in Spring :ahhh!: he did say his parents would just go over with the mower :shock:

Do plants have squatters rights :lol:

Di
Di, I would have handled it differently, I would have said " That damn plant in your garden has come across to mine now and I can't get rid of it...... but I suppose it looks ok so no harm done" They would then feel guilty about the plant not you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How cunningly brilliant - I wasn't quick enough to think of that :lol:

Then I could have claimed compensation on the grounds of intrusion :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Haha! Dave thats brilliant, you could even make them pay to put a new lawn down ... in your garden! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm got me thinking now.. and it killed my cordylines!!! :shock: ... :twisted: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tropical Bob wrote:Haha! Dave thats brilliant, you could even make them pay to put a new lawn down ... in your garden! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm got me thinking now.. and it killed my cordylines!!! :shock: ... :twisted: :lol:
We'll be selling TRex in Taiwan next :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Adrian, hows your big one out front mate :?: is it still ok after the winter :?: no loss of height :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'll tell you in the spring Nick :wink:
Its defoliated as it has done the last two winters and I cant see any more wrong with it, I cant be bothered to get the ladder out to check the growing points :lol:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

some people said these dont get to any size in pots- 7l pot- this is starting to look ok (its not mine its from the www)

Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

I will get mine to a decent size, even if i have to feed it live animals :twisted: :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

fieldfest wrote:some people said these dont get to any size in pots- 7l pot- this is starting to look ok (its not mine its from the www)

Do you consider that a good size for a rex then :lol: