Mammoth living up to it's name

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We've still just about got away with it Libby. Coldest here has been 6.1C over the last month. :D

The problem with my last picture is both have gone. The measuring tool disappeared one evening, and the Mammoth went to Exmouth. How's it doing Lucien?

My post of 17th July showed the pup I removed from the main plant but it had no roots. I cut the main leaf off just leaving the roller, as pictured, and popped it in the unheated prop. The roller did nothing and gradially yellowed so I cut that off as well. The pup was reduced to a short stump.Nothing happened for about a month, then a tiny leaf emerged. The pic with the standard measuring tool was taken as the second leaf emerged.

The problem when you buy a rhizome is you don't know what the plant will look like. From a pup it will look pretty much like the parent. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lucienc »

Its doing well, despite my neglect :oops:

Its has a couple of weeks in the conservatory, and finally tonight got potted up.

Will take a piccy when its light.

It has grown lovely new leaf.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

And here is baby Mammoth today, sorry forgot the red wine bottle unit of measure, will do that next time.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is looking good Lucien. You will be amazed at how much bigger each leaf gets. Also I see you are growing Burgundy stem from runners. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lucienc »

Hehe - was wondering if anyone would notice.... but its a miss-id.

They are fontanesii. The burgundy stem I got from you is growing but not yet big enough for runners. It was very slow to get going.

I got the fontanesii from Hardy Exotics near Penzance, and it started to have runners nearly straight away. I've been putting pots in trays of water next to the main plant and letting them root, once rooted, I then cut them from the main plant. So far no wilt. I have two baby fontanesii. And many more still on the parent plant.

I'm amazed how much I've learnt this year.

Right commercial question time... does anyone know who can supply wholesale Aroids on a commercial scale ? ( and cheap ;) )
grub

Post by grub »

i don't lucien but would like to know. would'nt mind trying some liners of nanas either
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Burgundy stem was slow to get going :shock: Plants that sprouted in July have runners now.

These are planters with 9 colocasia. They are small as they were the last runners to sprout, but they have started to run. Plants from June have several runners now. :wink:

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I've got a fontanessi thats quite large now,got it from Mulu this spring.Its not developed runners yet,but it has got a pup.
I thought colocasias either developed offsets(pups)or sent out runners.So if Luciens fontanessi has runners and mine has pups,who's is a real fontanessi and what does the other have?
I've got a 'tea cup' thats sending out runners so I'll have to do something with them,fallax and BStem aswell now I think of it.So much to do :lol:
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Steve, they are probably both Fontanesii. It has shiny leaves,and they do produce runners, but late in the season, before that they produce the occasional pup. The collie to the right of your picture is Fontanesii.

I'm not sure why your Fontanesii and Lucien's Burgundy Stem have not got to the running stage this late.

There are a few things that can cause the plants to slow up.

Stagnent water around the roots. They must have oxygen so if left in standing water it must be refreshed every day or so. My huge Burgundy Stem of 2005 was given 2 gallons of warm water a day with dilute feed. It was standing in a tray of water but this was flushed by new water every day.

Also if the feed is too strong, the roots are damaged and it slows up. I use a max of half strength food, but with every watering if time allows. These are gross feeders that require constant nutrients to grow well. They make an excellent pond filter sucking out every trace of nitrogen. The key words are little and often, and if there is enough oxygen for the fish, there will be enough for the Collies. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright