Some Cycad species Face Extinction

kata

Some Cycad species Face Extinction

Post by kata »

Johannesburg - The cycad, which is the world's oldest living seed plant and has outlived the dinosaurs, faces extinction if people continue to wrench the plants from their wild habitats and plant them in gardens.

This is according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature on Wednesday.

In an address to delegates at the Biodiversity Convention in Japan, the IUCN said that cycads were the most threatened group of organisms to have been assessed by them so far.

http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Cyca ... n-20101027

:o
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cycads Face Extinction

Post by Dave Brown »

Kata, Cycas revoluta is not threatened, so you can rest easy :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Oh good,

Must make sure I look after my two... :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is difference between the one I bought at Palmshop (no longer trading) and one red gave me. Mine is low down in the pot but much bigger fronds.

Reds has a tall caudex but short fronds. Are they all different Dave?

icon_cheers
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the one i gave you hasnt been stretched in a warm greenhouse,might be the difference??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Dave Brown wrote:Kata, Cycas revoluta is not threatened, so you can rest easy :wink:
Unless you get an expected cold snap. :lol:

Funny thing actually, I have a new work colleage from South Africa who gave me a bit of a grilling as to how I got mine from, he's still not convinced it.s the unthreatened Cycas Revoluta from Japan that I have.
Perhaps I should wind him up a little and say it was poached from S.A. :wink:
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks red,

Hopefully next summer it should look a bit same as mine.
Perhaps I should wind him up a little and say it was poached from S.A
:o :o no Nigel, you may have it backfire, what then? No, best you stay with us in safe hands.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

In South Africa they put chips inside them to prevent them form being poached! Well its a shame anywhere that they are still robbed from the wild!

Alexander
kata

Re: Some Cycad species Face Extinction

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: Oh wow!

You should'nt tell me such things :lol:

Hey Aexander, just like chip in a dog, how absolutely cool.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Yes, its a shame people can't keep hands to themselves. In some countries Sharia would take their hands for theft.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Should see the price of Encephalartos seeds and seedlings. Who pays £000's for a single seed?
adam f

Post by adam f »

i didn't know cycads were dioecious (male and female plant) that would probably be why the seed isn't cheap
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

JoelR wrote:Should see the price of Encephalartos seeds and seedlings. Who pays £000's for a single seed?
I have a great fondness for this group of plants but would never pay that sort of money for a seed, but I suspect a few would depending on how badly they wanted it. Looking at the prices of some Encephalartos surely must be one of the most expensive plants, ££'s per leaf, especially the most sought after. I suppose with plants, what hikes the price up is all the certs and cites that go with it.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

what hikes the price up is all the certs and cites that go with it.
More than likely Di, more than likely.

Surely we (UK) would'nt spend so much money for a seed. Maybe someone who knew they would get it through the mild winters would be the only people to benefit.

But even then there is no guarantees is there? What if the seed was'nt viable on delivery :(