Hardy Orange and Lemon Trees

Andrew Smith

Hardy Orange and Lemon Trees

Post by Andrew Smith »

Just got an e-mail from GardenBargains.com offering Lime, Lemon and Orange trees for £39.99.

I know some people have had problems with this company in the past. I bought some Oliander plants from them which did arrive but it took a very long time.

I was just wondering about their claim that these trees are hardy down to -5C? They are also supplying free Cosies with each tree. If we get any frosts or should I say when we get a frost, would covering the trees be sufficient protection?

I would love to grow these trees in the garden but wonder if their claims are too good to be true.

Here is a link to their web site
http://www.gardenbargains.com/item-5003 ... cosies.htm
spotty

Re: Hardy Orange and Lemon Trees

Post by spotty »

May I just ask ?
Where do we see oranges or lemons to grow ?
Certainly not in UK or do you ?
When it gets below 5 degrees C hardly any citrus tree survives or am I mistaken ?
Perhaps, these hardy trees are one of a kind ?
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

spotty, the uk has a wide range of climates! almost artic the scottish highlands to frost free in south west cornwall. Yes, most areas of uk couldn't be viable but maybe in some favourable locations on the south coast it is possible.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hi there
Yes i think some citrus will take -5c,there are a few trees growing in some good spots in the uk Central London etc,
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Certain types of Orange & Lemon tree's can take colder temps & do grow outside in the milder parts of the UK. I have seen photos of a fruiting Orange tree (not plant, it is big) growing in a garden in London. I have had Lemon's growing outside in my garden for several years, no protection & even produce a few fruit... Do a search on here, as we have discussed the hardier types on here before I believe...
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Sure they will. Even lower than -5. May defoliate afterwards but survive. Their survival depends on the species/variety and how long the cold period lasts. My lemon tree had taken -15C several times for days. Lost it last winter, it was too big to be brought indoors so left it in the ground. Never flowered anyway.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I had a Citrus limon (standard lemon) seedling, it took the cold winters well, but it died last winter.

However Meyer Lemon is much hardier and may take lower temperatures.. I'd like to try it.

Also things like Satsumas are meant to be hardy to about -12C, although satsumas arent strictly Citrus I dont think?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Francko in his book "Palms won't grow here..." recommends Citrus 'Yuza' (-12C), Citrus 'Morton' and ' US-119' citrange (both -15/-18C) and Citrus 'Thomasville' orangequat (-18C). Hardiness of established plants of course.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Good success with Citrus here but give them a bit of protection, great in a cold greenhouse so if planted out would benefit from a makeshift frame over winter.

I had a variegated lemon and another lemon come through last winter with pop up fleece tubes although they did defoliate.
Bringing them indoors can also defoliate them, cold dormancy seems the best way through winter.
I have had my plants for many years and only ever lost one, a smallish lime outside last winter.

My plants always fruit really well, theres no point whatsoever growing them if they dont fruit as the foliage is nothing much to go by, the scent is great but you need them to flower to get it and flowers lead to fruit of course.

I have brought my calamondin orange into the conservatory this year as its covered in fruit that I want to ripen through winter, others are also well in fruit but I fancy having a go at making my own marmalade from the calamondin.

Ive had oranges and lemons last a couple of years on the plant.
I use lemons on a regular basis through summer especially at BBQs or when folks come around for drinks. Nothing better than going to your plant and taking exotic fruit off to use straight away.
The Koi also enjoy my oranges but I havent tried one myself, I prefer to leave them on the plant for decorative purposes.

Not the easiest of plants to grow but well worth any effort put into them.
They fit into my Mediterranean style garden a treat.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I have the Eureka lemon and Naveline Orange as potted patio plants.
Only had them circa 9 months but both are fruiting. I currently have them in an unheated greenhouse.

I bought them from Ideal World the owners of Garden Bargains. They screwed up big time with the order, it took about 2 months to get them in the end but i recall paying circa £24 in total including food and fleece covers so it was good value.

Oh, and they sent me a grapefruit by mistake and let me keep it.
A nightmare to deal with but good quality plants.
alext22

Post by alext22 »

I have Orange and Lemon trees from Garden Bargains. Lots of fruit at the moment on them had them 2 year. :D I keep them in a frost free greenhouse in winter. Only problems I have with them is Scale insect, especially on my lime ive tried spraying them but then worry about eating the fruit. That doesnt seem to be working anyhow, any tips on how to rid them of scale? icon_scratch
Livistona

Post by Livistona »

Citrus trees can withstand very short periods of frost, but generally they don't withstand the UK climate. However there is supposedly a large citrus tree
growing in someones garden here in Torquay. I'm told it is growing in a very sheltered garden, although I don't think it ever fruits because you need a very hot summer and sun for the fruits to ripen. I know it takes lemons around 6 months to ripen with constant sun. :)
Livistona

Post by Livistona »

Livistona wrote:Citrus trees can withstand very short periods of frost, but generally they don't withstand the UK climate. However there is supposedly a large citrus tree
growing in someones garden here in Torquay. I'm told it is growing in a very sheltered garden, although I don't think it ever fruits because you need a very hot summer and sun for the fruits to ripen. I know it takes lemons around 6 months to ripen with constant sun. :)

Forgot to mention. The claims on that website seem to good to be true.
:?
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Shelter and old style C7 type Xmas lites seem to be all that's needed to winter even Washington Navel. I have a number of "hardy" citrus that would need suplimental heat on only a few occasions.
Here's Meyer lemon and Sudachi ripening now.

One of the best citrus forums ... http://citrus.forumup.org/

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Nov.07-10 003.jpg
Nov.07-10 004.jpg