Brug seed pods

Bob

Brug seed pods

Post by Bob »

I've several Arborea seed pods hanging from the shrub. Anyone any ideas as to when I should remove them to extract the seed? or do I wait for them to split open on the plant.?

Assuming I get some viable seed, they'll be free to whoever wants some.
khaskings

Re: Brug seed pods

Post by khaskings »

Hi Bob,

I can't give you a definative answer about the seeds pods, but my rule of thumb is to let nature take it's course and when a gentle tug or twist releases the pod from the plant, or a gentle squeeze bursts the drying pod case then it's time to collect.

Do you know what colours they are likely to be? I'd be interested in seeds if you have the potential for colourful offspring or double flowers etc.

Cheers,

Mike.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Just plain white Mike, but very fragrant.
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

Ok, got lots of those already thanks.

I can offer this interesting experience about brug seed germination. I had a couple that germinated with the seed case or part of the inside of the seed (don't know the correct term) still firmly attached to the emerging tip. Usually they drop off, but these were stubborn and didn't. When the seedling had reached a couple of inches tall I intervened and ended up clumsily snapping the growing tip off completely. Rather than die they just grew two more growing points and carried on. Twice the plant for half the care. Bizarre trade off but true. Usually it kills the seedling in other plants but not these.

Mike.