Phoenix roebelenii - Pygmy Date - is going for it

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Phoenix roebelenii - Pygmy Date - is going for it

Post by Dave Brown »

Phoenix roebelenii is flowering is head off this year. It has flowered before but not like this.
040707 P roebelinii crown.jpg
040707 P roebelenii in flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Phoenix roebelenii - Pygmy Date - is going for it

Post by Nick »

Hello Dave, Nice Date Palm there, how ols is it :?: and what are you growing it in :?: Has it ever set seed, and have you ever had any babys from it :?:Nick: :D
pete G

Post by pete G »

You have got a big one there, if you dont mind me saying Dave. :lol:

Would be interested to know how you overwinter it, and if in a pot, what size. :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well done Dave, mine always flower quite late in the year, around the time they are brought in but I do have a single spathe pushing out on one at the moment.
I tried helping with the pollenation last year but I had no luck getting the inflorescence to set.
I bet not too many have had roebelenii set seed over here, of course discounting any shipped in from Holland or Spain in the same year :roll: .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I just looked at the topic with 2 repies, and thought I don't remember posting this last night..... Then realised it is an old topic from last year :lol:

Nick, I bought it from the Palm Centre in about 1991, I think. It is growing in the 20" play tub but has been fed and watered better this year. I tend to neglect palms when it comes to feeding and watering :roll:

Pete, I try to grow it outside as much as possible as the leaves grown in sun are sun hardy, whereas those grown inside burn. It gets dragged down under the covered bit around the beginning of december, and is fleeced if frost occur before that. If very cold weather is forecast it gets dragged into the consevatory. :wink:

I bought a small (£8.99) one from B & Q last year, and it looks tlike that one is flowering as well, just one at the moment, don't know what sex yet, but won't make any difference as the big one has finished now :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pete G »

Must say Dave I had not noticed it was such an old post either.
But thanks for the info.

I take it, its still doing well?