Yuccas

Melissa

Yuccas

Post by Melissa »

After looking at all the plants that are toast in the garden, which is quite depressing, there is one group that has come through this winter quite well.

Looking at our Yuccas, and a some of there relatives, which in the main have come through very well, these have cheered me up.

So I thought I'd share some pic's with you all.

Y carnerosana, this one is one of my favourites, it's growing really well
IMG_0036.JPG
Y thompsoniana
IMG_0035.JPG
Y faxoniana
IMG_0039.JPG
Y filifera
IMG_0040.JPG
Y bright edge?
IMG_0115.JPG
Y aloifolia in the centre
IMG_0118.JPG
Y glorisa var
IMG_0033.JPG
Y rigida
IMG_0123.JPG
Y gloriosa
IMG_0038.JPG
Y recurvifolia
IMG_0034.JPG
And the last one, we have had a long time and no one is really sure what it is.

Melissa
Attachments
IMG_0042.JPG
stephenprudence

Re: Yuccas

Post by stephenprudence »

I havent got any of the Yuccas above but Yucca elephantipes has dealt with cold quite well, I think mainly because it's been a relatively dry winter with no frequent non stop rainfall. Snow as has been mentioned may have a thermal property to it so that may have also ironically helped the Yuccas get through the winter. One things for sure, Yuccas are becoming more popular here and whilst the likes of B&Q and Hombase/Wilkos exist they will also be quite popular around the UK too.
bodster

Post by bodster »

the yellow one is golden sword melissa. Bright edge has yellow edges as the name implies. Another simular one is colorguard which is a llovely yellow one that doesn't form a trunk so looks good at the front of a bed
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Wow Melissa, some fanatastic Yuccas there and very little sign of damage. I particularly like the Filifera....... another one on my wish list :roll:
My aloifolia and rostrata have also come through with no real damage.

With all those tree ferns and Yuccas just how big is your garden?

Cheers
Steve
simon

Post by simon »

That filifera looks amazing, Melissa. It must be really happy there to retain its leaves so well.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

SteveP wrote:
With all those tree ferns and Yuccas just how big is your garden?

Cheers
Steve
keep it quiet steve but the lucky so and so has i think a couple of acres to play with :shock:

Gary
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

Really nice Yuccas there Melissa, I have a few different species in my garden too and all do well through our North East winters and clay soils.
I have a Yucca Elata and it looks remarkably like the last one you are not sure about.......so maybe.
bodster

Post by bodster »

your unknown one could be a linearis Melissa.

Heres my big blue yucca that I that i used to think was a gloriosa. Now I'm not so sure. Hopefully steve will give me some ideas when he visits

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... +the+beast
Frank

Post by Frank »

Did you leave out y. rostrata because you couldn't be bothered to take a picture? :lol: I'm sure you have some dotted about or is there another reason?
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Frank wrote:Did you leave out y. rostrata because you couldn't be bothered to take a picture? :lol: I'm sure you have some dotted about or is there another reason?
I agree with Frank, you left out the best one :) Having said that they are beautiful set of plants. It is also nice to have some spikies that are more hardy and can form a stunning backbone to the garden.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i have lots of time for yuccas.nigel did me some cracking deals to set myself up with some big ones. these are all fully rooted and growing well now so will be re-designing the front of the garden this spring to accomodate them.not sure if the dazzy has rooted yet but time will tell.there is a taller rostrata down the garden but it is pretty much buried in a mass of pots and palms keeping as much wet out as naturally possible
is your unknown possibly a whipplei melissa?
Attachments
yuccas.jpg
yuccas.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

redsquirrel wrote:i have lots of time for yuccas.nigel did me some cracking deals to set myself up with some big ones. these are all fully rooted and growing well now so will be re-designing the front of the garden this spring to accomodate them.not sure if the dazzy has rooted yet but time will tell.there is a taller rostrata down the garden but it is pretty much buried in a mass of pots and palms keeping as much wet out as naturally possible
That is a lovely set of plants Redsquirrel. Be careful when you go to plant them, especially ones like rostrata, as they tend to drop their roots as soon as you look at them.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive already had had a nasty accident with one,bought a four footer,well rooted,driving back i got caught out by a sleeping policeman,the plant bounced out the bucket and snapped the roots off.2 years later and its looking very sad indeed with not a single root insight.im thinking of cutting the pots off in the holes to minimise disturbance when i do plant them out

i think that leaving them in the pots til they are bulging with roots help keep them altogether too.when i repotted the rostrata on the left of pic,the rootball was like a tightly packed can of thick spaghetti and stayed intact on its own
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
pete G

Post by pete G »

Some really fantastic yuccas there Melissa, I too particularly like the filifera.

They all look to be in very good condition after a cold wet winter, but I couldn't help but notice a bit of leaf spotting on the Aloifolia lower leaves.
Mine has the same problem every year, sometimes to the point where the plant can look pretty tatty by May.
Do you have a remedy for it?

My Whipplei from 2004

JohnNOTTS

Post by JohnNOTTS »

What a fantastic collection of gorgeous Yuccas Melissa, I must agree that I too am tending towards the sturdier dramatic spikies after last winter. Yuccas, Dasylirion and Nolinas are my favourites at the moment.

Are you sure you have the labels of faxoniana and carnerosana the right way around? :><: I want to buy a faxoniana this year but didn't want to end up with another carnerosana.... erm.. if you know what I mean? Where did you buy your plants?

Could your unidentified Yucca be glauca? After blowing up the pic there seems to be a distinct white edge to the leaves.

Cheers John.