AEONIUM ARBOREUM ZWARTKOP

kata

AEONIUM ARBOREUM ZWARTKOP

Post by kata »

Has anyone tried to grow this?

I bought two from an Ebay seller but both died from what is a mystery.

The second I had near the radiator thinking to kid it -- it was in the warmth of where they originate from :lol:

Did I overwater, did I not water enough, was the heat too much?

I was passing it one day to go to bathroom when I thought it looked strange, bent down to touch a leaf and begger me the roots were left behind.

I will buy another because look:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... s%3Disch:1

Yet another tropical disaster. icon_scratch
Attachments
aeoniumarboreumzZwartkopa.jpg
Chalk Brow

Re: AEONIUM ARBOREUM ZWARTKOP

Post by Chalk Brow »

I grow several aeonium including this one, I keep mine very dry and cool through the winter, but other than that they have to take their chances. Some will take a little frost, and have come through the winter outdoors here, but I've not tried that with A arboreum 'Zwartkop' (or 'Schwarzkopf' as it's also known).
Linden

Post by Linden »

I think this is the same one that MickC very kindly gave me last year.. It's been in a greenhouse all winter with only frost protection heating and no water at all. I've just noticed it's sprouting in a couple of places from the stem so I'm going to start watering very sparingly from now on. Maybe you were too kind to yours!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

if your stems arent rotted all the way up,cut the rot off and dry out for a couple of days. plant them back up and they might grow again.very easy plant to propagate, when they get too big,chop them back and plant the cuttings as above,the stem will re-shoot with several heads too
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

I bought one for a gardening friend last year,

I went to see him yesterday to take a Plumeria seed and the Zwartkop I bought him is in his kitchen window doing really well.

I have none now but I will buy another, maybe a different supplier.

redsquirrel, I have heard they are easy to proagate, I shud a tried that :lol:

:)
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

they are very easy to propagate from cuttings , in fact most of those on ebay are done that way.

it looks like you bought some like i did, stem cuttings minus roots. once these callous over then in slight damp compost they will romp away.
thy don't like or need much water in the winter, they are very shallow rooting, only the top 3 inches or so

i've now got over 40 different types of Aeonium,

AEONIUM Arboreum Atropurpureum
AEONIUM Arboreum Magnificum
AEONIUM Arboreum Nigra
AEONIUM Arboreum Tree
AEONIUM aureum x aizoon
AEONIUM Ballerina
AEONIUM Balsamiferum
AEONIUM Blushing Beauty
AEONIUM Bronze Medal
AEONIUM Caespitosum
AEONIUM Calderense
AEONIUM Canariensis
AEONIUM Castello paivae
AEONIUM Dinner Plate
AEONIUM Escobarii
AEONIUM Garnet
AEONIUM Glandulosum
AEONIUM Gomerense
AEONIUM gongoreum
AEONIUM greenovia aurea
AEONIUM greenovia diplocycla gigantea
AEONIUM Greenovia dodrentalis
AEONIUM Hawbicum
AEONIUM hierrense
AEONIUM Kiwionium
AEONIUM Lancerottense
AEONIUM Lemon & Lime
AEONIUM Leucoblepharum
AEONIUM Manriqueorum
AEONIUM Nobile
AEONIUM Plum Purdy
AEONIUM Rhombus
AEONIUM Sedifolium Canariensis
AEONIUM Simsii
AEONIUM Simsii X zwartkop
AEONIUM Spathula
AEONIUM Sunburst
AEONIUM Suncup
AEONIUM Swarzkopft
AEONIUM Tricolour
AEONIUM Urbicum
AEONIUM valverdense
AEONIUM virgineum
AEONIUM Viscatum
AEONIUM Voodoo

you will also find LOTS of cross breeders, they are easy to do and give wide and varied results

all bar a few are from e bay and all doing fine, in fact they are now flourishing in the greenhouse, with new growth clearly visible.

the darker leaved types are more prone to leaf drop in the winter i find, as they revert to green from the lovely dark rich colours in summer.

they can go out after the last frosts, so up here mid may ish, and you can feed them with a liquid feed every fortnight or so, if planted out mine just love to bake in the sun, after all they come from the canaries mainly and africa.

buy from good suppliers on ebay. i would try

greengiant52
surrealsucculents
cactoman
seedsurfer
cornish oasis
rjscooling

all good growers, good quality, and arrive in tact too

any more help you need on this genus let me know
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I had masses of the zwartkop, all propagated from what was a two inch high cutting I had many years ago, one of the cuttings was a multi stemed plant over 5 foot high and it flowered last year.
I take good sized cuttings to use each year but I left most of the outside ones to die this winter, I had the cuttings I wanted and it got to the point where no one wanted them at the meets anymore so it wasnt worth keeping them, shame really but if no one wants them then they cant take up valuable greenhouse space.
kata

Post by kata »

Ah thats nice of you Dave,

I thought looking at the list you were going to say these are varieties out there icon_sunny Then I saw they are yours..wow..quite a collection.

I bought off Ebay all three plants. Once the actuall leaves came away in my hands I never looked for a root I was too disapointed and mad. Gardening is expensive as you know Dave and each one costs me £8, so £24 and still have no plant but I will buy another after may, give it a starter for ten in the sun.

I like them. I saw my first one at Botanical Garden forums. I left there then found here :lol: :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Pity that Adrian,

I would have paid the postage to get them here.

Not to worry and both of you good luck with them icon_cheers :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Maybe you were too kind to yours!

I watered it for as long as I had it, kept warm near the radiator :lol: :lol:
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

like the agave's , a gritty mix of compost is pretty much the norm

they will drop the lowest leaves even when in full health, its when the upper ones start ot go you've problem.

the roots are very fine, and can rot easily. in that case don't bin it, cut the stem back into fresh green growth, and let this heal over for a few days, then in a very gritty mix, insert the stem in a distance, (depends on the size of whats left how much you have to push in)

a sprinkling, even a slight mist over the compost just to settle it in, then leave it.

they don't need too much warmth over winter, but MUST have as much light as possible.
it could be that was why they croaked, but really they do grow from a stem...

I've got some from a plant which keeled over in October, and took about 8 cuttings from it, all are now pushing roots out the bottom of the pots
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dave!

It was'nt in the lightest of corners.

I have learned a lot in the short time I have been here about plants I 'just hoped' would do well without even looking to see how to care for them. Having 'green fingers' with our normal plants and thinking pf being able to raise the tropicals in the same way is heading for the disater.

:)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade, I've never seen yours at meets. I 've had one a couple of times and bought one at Akamba last year. It is in the poly which went down to -1.9C before I rigged the heater up. Now stays at 1.3C lowest. Is kept completely dry in ballast with a small amount of JI no3. Has lost a few lower leaves but is fine. I have a 160w mercury lamp that switches on when low rate tarriff cuts in at 2am and is on until 8am so the Agaves, Cacti and succulents are getting about 17 hours light at the moment.

Dave2166 you dark horse :lol: a secret Aeonium hoarder :lol: What else you hidding away there :lol:

My rose one which was meant to be the most hardy mushed in -5.6C under the canopy of my big Chamaerops :cry: but the blue ones are fine out in the open. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

have to agree,an impressive collection icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
so far only lost the dinnerplate this year, not too bothered if the zwartkops die,theres so many here. had some that grew way too leggy,cut them down to the right height and chopped the stems up,drew arrows so i knew which was top and planted them,they all grew using daves method.you only need one strong plant to make loads
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Dave Brown wrote: Dave2166 you dark horse :lol: a secret Aeonium hoarder :lol: What else you hidding away there :lol: :
a ''few'' agaves, nothing too exotic. since i got the greenhouse in the autumn i thought i might as well get a few plants, and when i started to look at aeoniums i relaised what a diverse genus they were. and provided they are kept frost free are now easy to keep going over winter.. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

and a piece of cake to prop, as i shall be doing then selling them on ebay, later this year