Eddoes - advice please.

Cathy

Eddoes - advice please.

Post by Cathy »

Hi all!
Not bein' the worlds most enthusiastic cook :roll: I thought I'd peel some spuds today and this is what I found :oops:
I bought the two Eddoes in Asda quite a few weeks ago but not really knowing the best way to grow them, dumped them in my potato bowl in kitchen cupboard.
Now they are showing signs of life, can someone please advise me how to proceed :?: ...Hope you can see the little buds developing :)
Also, Brian keeps asking me what the plant looks like and I say "loverly big leaves" - not a clue, really :roll: Picture please, anyone?...
Thanks a lot, in advance, Cathy.
Don

Re: Eddoes - advice please.

Post by Don »

Cathy, they are just another form of Colocasia so all the tips and hints you girls have received about the Wilco things apply. They have large leaves, so no cheating and substituting eddoes for Wilcosias :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Cathy, Here is an old picture of some Eddoes.
eddoes 1.JPG
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Wow! Don, Mark your'e quick!
Not even had time to peel those spuds yet :roll:
Thanks for the info' :) and Don, to even suggest that I might try such a dastardly substitution :shock: ...the thought never entered my head, 'til you gave me the idea :wink:
Cathy.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Cathy, don't believe a word Don says, he's a mischevious little :twisted: . Eddeos are no where near as big as the wilkos.

They do make nice filler plants though i treat mine as summer bedding, then dig them up at the end of the year and eat them.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Chris, "Dig 'em up at the end of the year and eat them!" :shock: :shock: :shock:
They look horrid! I know they sell them in vegetable shops but can you make chips with them?
cathy.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Cathy,

This was my biggest Eddoe leaf to date.
Hope the link works ok

http://www.pbase.com/edgegallery/image/64837287

So they can get fairly big.

D.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Cathy wrote:Chris, "Dig 'em up at the end of the year and eat them!" :shock: :shock: :shock:
They look horrid! I know they sell them in vegetable shops but can you make chips with them?
cathy.
Actually Cathy you can, they are suppose to be very nice as well.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Darren, your eddoe leaves got far bigger than mine did last year :shock: . What did you feed them on?. Whatever it was, use it to feed your mammoth and you are on to a winner.
Andy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The pic below shows a monster Mammoth leaf together with a Tesco Eddoe leaf (samller one) with my size 9. These were fed on slow release general fertilizer, liberal handfulls of Chicken Pellets, and watered daily even on rainy days.
210707 Eddoe and Mammoth.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Cathy »

Hi Guys!
Darren, your link did work! lovely big leaf, something to aspire to! I will get mine started right away,

Dave, Thanks for pic and advice. I have chicken manure pellets at the ready to scatter asunder, as soon as the May is out! (blossom, that is) Do you just chuck the pellets on the surface of ground, around plants? or have to trowel in?

Chris, I do believe you, really I do, Eddoe chips...with tomato sauce, something to try maybe but after they have been growing on chicken manure pellets all summer, still not sure...

cathy.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

ps. Dave, I wont be allowing Brian to trample on any of my plants with his size 10s!

Cathy.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Glad you liked the photo :D

First part of the season I sprinkled on Chicken pellets.
Just chucked them on the soil and let the rain wash them in.
Minimal effort required :><:

Later in the season I used this stuff;

6x Fertiliser

It really stinks ! At times I found the smell of ammonia over whelming and had to stop for a rest or two !

And also, loads and loads of water.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Great advise Darren, Letting the rain do the work sounds good to me :) think I will give the 6x a miss :roll: ...I love watering garden, my 'thinking time', so thats no problem!
cathy