Is this Red Spider Mite? (Colocasia Mammoth)

pdid

Is this Red Spider Mite? (Colocasia Mammoth)

Post by pdid »

As above and if not, what is it? It seems to only be effecting my colocasia mammoths
rsm1.jpg
rsm2.jpg
Cheers
Last edited by pdid on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoelR

Re: Is this Red Spider Mite?

Post by JoelR »

Almost definitely Red Spider Mite. I zoomed to 400% but it was still too blurred to see them clearly.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Pics are a bit too blurred to see. Is there any webbing associated with the spots, and do the spots move around slowly? If no to both questions, then not Red Spider Mite.
Adam

Post by Adam »

bit blurry but looks to me like spider mite, stop it not before they run wild !!!! icon_rambo
pdid

Post by pdid »

There doesn`t appear to be any webbing our movement. Here are the original sized photos:

IMG_20111215_105253 by pdmann80, on Flickr

IMG_20111215_105307 by pdmann80, on Flickr
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Looks like the problem I've had with my Mammoths all year (did they come from Scott??). Didn't matter whether it was in the greenhouse or they were growing outside.

I'm not convinced it's Red Spider Mite, but I don't know what it is, several applications of Provado never cured it.

They back in the house now and I cut all the leaves off just as a new leaf was emerging, and so far the new leaves have remained bug free

Jon
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Pdid
Have a close look at the "v" shape at the top of the leaf. Whenever i've had Red Spider Mite on collies etc there's always a very fine web there
pdid

Post by pdid »

There is definitely no web in the V and I can`t detect any movement or webbing anywhere else.

Yes they were purchased from Scott.

I have cut off most of the older leaves, my Hawaiian eye and pink stem are showing no signs of it and they are growing right next to the mammoth`s (literally pots and leaves touching), in this case surely all plants would be infected?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It isn't Red Spider Mite mate, I have the same on my mammoths, I don't know what it is, it has been on mine since summer time but has caused no problems at all so i don't bother with it. I will take a picture later so we can compare. :wink: Mine also came from Mr Radford awesome plants as well. :DD
pdid

Post by pdid »

sanatic1234 wrote:It isn't Red Spider Mite (Red Spider Mite) mate, I have the same on my mammoths, I don't know what it is, it has been on mine since summer time but has caused no problems at all so i don't bother with it. I will take a picture later so we can compare. :wink: Mine also came from Mr Radford awesome plants as well. :DD
Thanks for that Aaron. icon_thumleft

God knows what it is or what`s causing it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have bits of it on my stems as well, I will post a picture of it soon mate and show you. I don't know what it is either but it doesn't seem to be causing my plants any harm though. icon_scratch
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

could it be what i've sometimes heard called "rust" on other plants or am i way off
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I did think that arlon at first. But was not sure.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've got it too. It shows up easiest on green leaves, hence why it shows up on mammoths very well. I'm not sure if it's caused by Red Spider Mite as I definitely do have some low level Red Spider Mite. It could be aphids feeding on the emerging leaf and then this damages looks worse when the leaf expands.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

IMO i seriously doubt its Red Spider Mite, mine have had no webs on them at all since being indoors or outside, I have found none crawling about on the undersides of the leafs or tops and no discoloring to the leafs caused by Red Spider Mite. I am at current searching the web as to what it could be. :) Hoping for similar pictures to the one posted with a description to what it is.