Death of Elepaio

miketropic

Death of Elepaio

Post by miketropic »

Its been about 2 years since this happened last. I secretly hope for it to happen but last time it killed the plant due to no way of making food...a solid white leaf

I hope it fully unrolls and the plant somehow survives on the half green stem of the last leaf but I don't have high hopes.. since there are no other leaves on the plant just a single half green stem it dosen't seem good. love the look just hate that the plant might die now.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Death of Elepaio

Post by Dave Brown »

The pups start out half white, and during that time are prone to dying, then seem to become more green speckled white when they get older.

Here is mine earlier this month
Attachments
2012-09-05-13-14-46a Ele Paio.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

those are a pretty good size Dave don't really see this kind much bigger than that. Ive had a few half white leaves which do alright. the mother plant of this one is heavily varigated which is why I took the pups off it :lol: love the white in everything but the last time it threw a white leaf it killed the pup and I hope it dosent happen this time.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are 9 pups on my clump, but I'll leave intact until spring :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

A suicidal colocasia :ahhh!:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Stunning plant Dave! icon_thumleft

I had a variegated Alocasia mac. that topped itself in the same manner, was most heartbreaking to watch it decline knowing there was nothing I could do...
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Did you lose your half white one, Dave, and is this a replacement?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:Did you lose your half white one, Dave, and is this a replacement?
No, this one was half white for the odd leaf when younger, but they seem to need more TLC at that stage. It seems once clumping they are far more tolerant and the larger plants are mostly green. A completely white pup will be fine on a clump with green plants, but just can't survive without photosynthesis assistance from the others :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

Its almost fully unrolled now and I am gunna be sad to watch it go..if somehow the half green stem of the old leaf carrys it through I will never let this plant die LOL
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I really wish this thing would make it..there it the slightest light green on the base of the stem but I just don't think its gunna be enough.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:I really wish this thing would make it..there it the slightest light green on the base of the stem but I just don't think its gunna be enough.
]
If you have any growlights put the green leaf under it 24/7. The light intensity as far north as we are is a lot less than nearer the tropics, but growth here is as good in summer as we have 16 hrs plus daylight. Giving it 24/7 good light may make up for less photosynthesis area. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I just got in from work and I was happy and amazed.. it took the white leaf almost 2 weeks to come out and I was sure the plant was going to kill itself. when I went in to check on thing I see the stem had busted already and had a roller comming out of it.. I know this was not the right thing to do but in a slight panic I went ahead and pulled the new roller out of the stem. seeing as it looks almost totally green I figured it could carry it through till it opens fully, even being rolled up.. I am really glad it didn't kill it off and I got a nice pure white leaf to look at as well.