Eddoes/Collies

Gaz

Eddoes/Collies

Post by Gaz »

What temps do they need for winter. Our greenhouse is going to be on the cool side with heating for only the coldest nights. Is this going to work or should it be a bit warmer.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Gaz, I couldn't stop them from going rotten in a cold greenhouse and I don't have the space for them in the heated polytunnel. Last year and again this year I cut off stems and roots and keep the tubers warm and dry in the spare bedroom.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Once the cold sets in and turns the top growth to mush thats when your problems seem to start. As it goes rotten and then starts to make its way down the stem to the main tuber. Once that has rot in it you will have to take it out of the pot and cut the manky bit of and dust with sulpher.

Have you no room inside the house for a couple of small plants ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Maybe I haven't mentioned this before. I peel off any cut leaf bases down to the rhizome. so you start to see the ringed effect you get on a supermarket dry one. The top of the rhizome should be above the surrounding compost. I repot into very well drained compost as there will be little growth, so little requirement for excess water. I use equal parts peat mp compost, gritty (texture) bark soil conditioner (B&Q), and small chipped bark. This retains some moisture but drains well allowing air into the mix. I pack the plants together (mutual protection) Don't try to make them to grow, they are not dormant just growing extremely slowly. If your unheated greehouse gets winter sun, and you protect the plant with fleece inside, you can keep the soil temp above domancy figures. Also old blankets thrown over the outside of the greenhouse on very cold nights will help hold temps up. Water very sparingly from the bottom in Dec/Jan, slightly more as sunlight increases in Feb :wink:

Pic shows removed leaves to the base where it joins rhizome. Also notice trachycarpus seedlings... they get everywhere :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Gaz »

i think i might have to reconsider how i store them

Is a warmish but dark loft any use?
Mark

Post by Mark »

should be ok. Dont forget them though.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Gaz wrote:i think i might have to reconsider how i store them

Is a warmish but dark loft any use?
What do you mean by warmish? If you don't have insulation, you'll be making the Polar Bears swim for it :lol:

If it is too warm they may sprout, with no light that would be a problem. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Gaz »

Brought them into the house now, currently squeezed into the kitchen, wher i guess they will be ok. I hope.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

When does Tesco/Sainsbury's start stocking Eddoes ?
grub

Post by grub »

they don't by me :(
Don

Post by Don »

Lucien-in your quest for exotic veg look out for Yams.
They produce a beautiful multi-stemmed vine.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Don wrote:Lucien-in your quest for exotic veg look out for Yams.
Whats their proper (latin) name ? I overlooked them this year on my hunt for eddoes.
simon

Post by simon »

Also Coco Yam for a Xanthosoma.
Don

Post by Don »

lucienc wrote:
Don wrote:Lucien-in your quest for exotic veg look out for Yams.
Whats their proper (latin) name ? I overlooked them this year on my hunt for eddoes.
Dioscorea, but I am not certain which one the supermarkets sell. They tend to sell relatively small tubers which look similar to the shape of sweet potatoes, but have a much rougher and darker skin.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Lucien, my local ASDA is selling eddoes all the time. I looked at them today.

YAMS ! I grew them once, and basically it is tropical bindweed :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright