Eddoes at tesco

Damian

Eddoes at tesco

Post by Damian »

Eddoes are in at tesco Exeter, 4 FOR 99P!
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I have a pack in the car for you as well that I got at the weekend ! Not been able to find you though - do you not want the Nova money ? :lol:

So did you clear them out ?
Damian

Post by Damian »

I managed to slip a few packs into the shopping trolley yesterday, i think the wife is expecting a carribean style curry tonight!
simon

Post by simon »

:lol:

I wouldn't bother cooking them if I where you. I boiled some up a few weeks back that I dug out of the garden, mashed them with butter. They where pretty horrible. Has anyone else tried them?
Mark

Post by Mark »

:shock: you don't eat them Simon there for growing :lol:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Mark wrote::shock: you don't eat them Simon there for growing :lol:
You'll be saying that about bananas next :roll:
simon

Post by simon »

:lol: I had to give it a try Mark. Have you tried the Yacon yet? That's really tasty.
bodster

Post by bodster »

i'll have to get another yacon sometime. My mum nicked the one Lucien gave me :)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Did anyone's Eddoes do that well this year? Mine were lacklustre to say the least.

Perhaps it was the cool weather but they certainly didn't make me want to buy them again.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

simon wrote:They where pretty horrible. Has anyone else tried them?
Ah, are you sure you cooked it properly?? :lol:

I'm not keen on it myself when cooked in a savoury dish but as a pudding it's lovely (eddoes,coconut oil, muscovado sugar, and tapioca)Yummy!

Boil it well with the skin intact, when it's cooked the skin just peels off easily with the push of a thumb and consistency is crumbly yet sticky (like potato ready for mashing) Should taste slightly sweet but bland. Do not eat undercook, could be poisonous :shock:
Mark wrote:you don't eat them Simon there for growing
Not all the time :lol:
On a mini meet maybe I should also dish out the following (oh yes they are edible):
Colocasia esculenta leaf stew
Eddoe pudding
Musa basjoo flower VeggieBurger
Bamboo shoot salad

You'll be converted :wink:
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

MarkD wrote:On a mini meet maybe I should also dish out the following (oh yes they are edible):
Colocasia esculenta leaf stew
Eddoe pudding
Bamboo shoot salad

You'll be converted :wink:
Mark - sounds delicious, I must warn you that Ian and myself have rather good appetites - I would worry that the pair of us could eat your entire collection! :shock: :lol:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

DavidF wrote:Did anyone's Eddoes do that well this year? Mine were lacklustre to say the least.

Perhaps it was the cool weather but they certainly didn't make me want to buy them again.
They certainly don't produce large leaves on a normal diet. Mine grew no more than a foot tall with leaves about six inches long at most. Ok for understorey planting but thats all IMO.
Better to save up and be ready to make a dash for the Wilko bulbs in the spring :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

[quote="MarkD
[/quote]

I couldn't do that to my babies :shock: it would be like cutting off my own arms :cry:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My eddoes did better this year than last. The cooler wetter summer seemed to suit them. Mind you last year was a pain with a hosepipe ban and no rain.

The 2 huge leaves are Colocasia esculenta Mammoth, but the other leaves are all Tesco eddoes. :wink:

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by MarkD »

kentgardener wrote:Mark - sounds delicious, I must warn you that Ian and myself have rather good appetites - I would worry that the pair of us could eat your entire collection! :shock: :lol:
No probs! Probably best to sample them first,as much as I love Collie leaf stew (could eat it all day), Gaz wasn't too keen on it :?

But if you guys like it, I better just buy the ingredients, rather have our entire garden eaten :lol:

Our best performer last (non) summer was the Colocasia we bought from Wilkos, so as AndyC says make a dash for it as soon as it comes out. They came out 3rd week of December last year :)