Plant ID / Advice Please (Alocasia)

Brian

Plant ID / Advice Please (Alocasia)

Post by Brian »

i have just bought a plant from my local garden center from there end of summer stock for 99p it is labeled up as a "green plant" (you have to love the people who labeled it :lol: ) my question is does anyone know what it is?, is it a sun or shade lover? and is it hardy? or will it have to come in with the ever growing number of plants i have to dig up each year :lol:

simon

Re: Plant ID / Advice Please

Post by simon »

Brian, it is an Alocasia. I think it is a miniature version of A. amazonica but not sure of the proper name. It is not hardy, so best for a conservatory or sunny window sill. You could of course put it out for summer if you wish. They are gradually trunk forming and suckering. They are quite prone to Red Spider Mite (Red Spider Mite). I recently chucked out a pot of it which I bought at Wisley a couple of years ago because decimated by Red Spider Mite. I did save one small sucker so it lives on.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is an Alocasia amazonica of a type, I bought one from Sainsbury's a couple of months ago. It has not grown one leaf since then. It's not dying, but not growing either. Mine is in the lounge now. For me they are certainly not as easy to grow as the more hardy ones :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jonny »

That looks like Alocasia sanderiana commonly known as the Kris plant. I love this plant but find it a real butter to keep happy as it seems to like warm and humid conditions all year round. And being forest understorey plants they do like to be in dappled shade to shade.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Its Alocasia amazonica i had one last year .It was growing well in conserv in the summer they like rain water not tap .I forgot to bring it in from unheated conserv it rotted in no time .Its more house plant or summer conserv .I want another but the leaves are toxic for in the house and i have a baby that kills my house plant.Mine grew five leaves the other i see is Alocasia black velvet .Both are for sale in homebase stewarts Haskins not all the time.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Alocasia sanderiana and amazonica seem to be the same plant.
derrick

Post by derrick »

The Amazonica i had was from a old lady she had it as a house plant for like 5 years .It had 1 sucker she gave me and only 2 leaves .But when i put in conserv it grew 5 leaves .So maybe they need light and heat .Unheated consev killed it very fast.
derrick

Post by derrick »

This is another black velvet not as nice as Amazonica.
Attachments
aloc_blackvelvet_ts.jpg
aloc_blackvelvet_ts.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 1303 times