Aroidia Research (Alocasia x calidora and portora)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Aroidia Research (Alocasia x calidora and portora)

Post by Dave Brown »

While looking for information on how to sow and grow my Alocasia x calidora seed, I came across many refernences to Aroidia Research and LariAnn Garner.

It turns out that LariAnn Garner, a Director, of Aroidia Research was the developer of both hybrids Alocasia x calidora and Alocasia x portora back in the early 1980s, but all commercial gains have been made by others :roll:

As these are two of my favourite Alocasia, proving to be quite cold and wind tolerant here while getting BIG Out of respect I'm reproducing the post LariAnn put on Garden Web HERE. Hope that is not infringing anything.

Posted by LariAnn z10 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 22:23

RE: Alocasia 'calodora' and/or 'portidora'

I am posting this today because some of you may have one or both of the above two Alocasia hybrids in your collections.

I am LariAnn Garner, the Director of Aroidia Research, http://aroidiaresearch.org , and the Alocasia x calidora (aka "calodora", "caladora", "persian palm") and Alocasia x portora (aka "portidora", "portadora", "portodora") are two of our earliest hybrids, released to the trade in the early 1980s. Because Aroidia Research was inactive for a number of years after the release of those plants, we were unaware of the extent to which these plants have been propagated, sold, and distributed throughout the world. Now that Aroidia Research has resumed full activity, we have become aware of the widespread marketing and acceptance of these two plants, and we have decided to notify all those who might have these plants about their true origin and nomenclature.

The true origin of both plants is south Florida, not Persia (as in "persian palm") or tropical Asia. The parents of these plants did originate in countries other than the U.S.A., but the hybrid progeny came into being in south Florida, U.S.A.

Since our nomenclature for these plants was published in the journal of the International Aroid Society (the established International Cultivar Registration Authority (ICRA) for aroids), Vol. 6, No. 3, July 1983, before they were released to the horticultural trade, the original grex names we gave these hybrids take precedence over any other names that marketers, collectors and/or growers have attributed to them subsequently. This is in accordance with Article H.4.1 of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (Saint Louis Code), Appendix 1.

Therefore, we ask that you make the necessary change(s) in references to reflect both the valid nomenclature and the true origin of these two plants. The knowledge that those who are enjoying these plants know the correct names and origins of them is the only remuneration we are getting from the widespread distribution of these plants, believe it or not!

To recap, the Alocasias being sold as "calodora", "caladora" and/or "persian palm" are really our Alocasia x calidora, and the Alocasias being sold as "portidora", "portadora" or "portodora" are really our Alocasia x portora.

Please feel free to visit our website and learn a lot more about these two plants and many others we have currently under development.

Thank you for your consideration and attention.

LariAnn Garner
Director, Aroidia Research
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright