Musa bajoo keep in pot and plant in ground

Sat

Musa bajoo keep in pot and plant in ground

Post by Sat »

Following reading about musa on this forum, some people think mustaq keep the musa in pot and plants them out in the ground still in the pot, fully or 1/2 pot?

The musa I have in the pots in the pic, would it be ok to pot those plants? Is there any problems of keeping in pots, i.e no or less pups growing?

Reason to keep in pots is so they can be bought indoor in winter and try to keep the height?
Attachments
musa small.JPG
musa small.JPG (59.23 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
musa_monkey

Re: Musa bajoo keep in pot and plant in ground

Post by musa_monkey »

I would say 95% of mine are in pots so i can store under cover in the winter.
No idea how many i have, i would hazard a guess at circa 40. Never had any shortage
of pups even in smaller pots see below :D

The biggest size pot i tend to use is around 50 litre, much more that that and it gets very heavy with an 8 ft banana plant and a fully watered pot :?

Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks. icon_colors

Great musa and lots of pups growing I assume that pot is 30 litre?

So do you then just place the pots around the garden come April and then bring back to shelter in November?

Have you ever planted out a musa from a pot in April and then digged up in November for storage in a pot over winter?

How do they fare over the winter as compare to one kept in pots all the time.:-D
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sat wrote:Thanks. icon_colors

Great musa and lots of pups growing I assume that pot is 30 litre?

So do you then just place the pots around the garden come April and then bring back to shelter in November?

Have you ever planted out a musa from a pot in April and then digged up in November for storage in a pot over winter?

How do they fare over the winter as compare to one kept in pots all the time.:-D
That pot is approx 25 litre. Yes i just place them around the garden. I like the idea of being able to move stuff around which is one reason i like container gardening. I put them out at the beginning of April and take them in some time in November.

I do plant some out occasionally but just leave them in the ground (mostly basjoo and Sikkimensis.) They always get cut to the ground over winter (despite various methods i have tried to protect them) but grow back in spring. I have one in the ground that i had to cut back to 1ft tall (due to rot) and it is now back in growth and has sprouted leaves.

Next year i plan to try a few dry storage i.e. removal of all leaves and soil
like they do in the US. I meant to try it this year but forgot :oops: Should make for an interesting experiment.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

just curious about musa basjoos and sikkimensis in the ground.

do they stay in about the same place or do they move quite a bit when they resprout each year?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Mr List wrote:just curious about musa basjoos and sikkimensis in the ground.

do they stay in about the same place or do they move quite a bit when they resprout each year?
Mine have never moved more that about 1ft in any direction from the original planting.
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

would you recommend more to plant in a biggish pot or plonk in the ground and maybe dig up in oct and put back in a pot and dry store?only cus i just bought a new one with about 5 and half foot of trunk from easy tropicals which i collected myself and wanted the the best for it.. :D
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

musa_monkey wrote:
Mr List wrote:just curious about musa basjoos and sikkimensis in the ground.

Mine have never moved more that about 1ft in any direction from the original planting.

sounds ok. have they gone back and forth or just moving outwards?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

[/quote]

sounds ok. have they gone back and forth or just moving outwards?[/quote]

They tend to grow around the original plant in whatever direction they want to go but always within the same space. Not really thought about it before to busy making sure the bamboo doesn't wander off :shock:
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

outatime1978 wrote:would you recommend more to plant in a biggish pot or plonk in the ground and maybe dig up in oct and put back in a pot and dry store?only cus i just bought a new one with about 5 and half foot of trunk from easy tropicals which i collected myself and wanted the the best for it.. :D

If you want the plant to achieve its best potential then put it in the ground and dig it up and store over winter. That should maximise the pstem growth. My main plants are all circa 6ft in the pots after cutting growth back to store for winter. I only cut them back to make them easier to move and store.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks for the advice. I am going to experiment and plant probably 2 -3 in ground and dig up in oct. The rest keep in pots and place around the garden.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello Alan
I am thinking of buying a Musa Banjoo and putting it in a large pot down bottom of my garden. When you bring yours in for winter, where do you store them and do you water them over winter and do they still grow? I was thinking of standing mine in my diningroom over winter. Or do they need a dark room with no water? How much do you cut them back by? Remove all leaves etc? I have never owned a banana before and do not have a clue. But I do know I do not want them getting too big 5 or 6 feet would be ideal.

Thanks very much

musa_monkey wrote:
outatime1978 wrote:would you recommend more to plant in a biggish pot or plonk in the ground and maybe dig up in oct and put back in a pot and dry store?only cus i just bought a new one with about 5 and half foot of trunk from easy tropicals which i collected myself and wanted the the best for it.. :D

If you want the plant to achieve its best potential then put it in the ground and dig it up and store over winter. That should maximise the pstem growth. My main plants are all circa 6ft in the pots after cutting growth back to store for winter. I only cut them back to make them easier to move and store.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Rachelpalm wrote:Hello Alan
I am thinking of buying a Musa Banjoo and putting it in a large pot down bottom of my garden. When you bring yours in for winter, where do you store them and do you water them over winter and do they still grow? I was thinking of standing mine in my diningroom over winter. Or do they need a dark room with no water? How much do you cut them back by? Remove all leaves etc? I have never owned a banana before and do not have a clue. But I do know I do not want them getting too big 5 or 6 feet would be ideal.

Thanks very much
I store mine in the garage and i do not water once they have been brought in.
I cut them back to around 6ft tall by removing all leaves and Pstem above that level.
I only do this so that they will fit in the garage.
They do continue to grow in the garage in the dark after cutting back until temperatures plummet.

If you keep it indoors, you can treat it as a house plant over winter watering lightly and it will continue to grow slowly. You can cut off any untidy leaves to keep it looking good. Ideally provide it with as much light as possible but it isnt absolutely necessary as i have grown them in dark corners over the years.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello Alan

Thanks very much, just bought 2 Bananas and look forward to growing them. Yours look beautiful,

Cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have just took off a pup from the main corm of my old basjoo stem and it had bloody loads of roots :D I have potted it up in a 5 Ltr pot the roots are a pretty snug fit, there isn't loads of space for the roots in the pot but thought this may work in the plants favour as it may settle quicker. Give the mix 50/50 of perlite and MP compost so it will be ready for winter then as well. I won't bother to plant this one till next year now.