Maurelli overwintering

cordyman

Re: Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by cordyman »

mine does have some mushy areas

since ive moved it from boiler house its got these.

I'm wondering if I should cut them off and leave it in boiler house for good!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I think it would be a bit warm Cordy personally, but im not an expert. Mine do look okay but we have another four months to go. :?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:sulpher dusted mine now but it does have a spongey bit here in this pic at the top of cut off leaf should i be concerned?

They are callusing and drying off nicely. There is no evidence of any weeping. The cut leaf edges will go dry like paper eventually icon_thumright

Don't keep cutting more off as you expose the Ensete to infection every time, and if you continue all winter there will be nothing left by spring. :lol:

This is my 'Montbeliardii' in Late Feb 2010 before I trimmed it up for spring.
Attachments
20100226 E montbeliardii.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Panama Pete »

Thats good Dave, mine are not far off that I dont think. Shame its raining here today Iwould of put them out for the wind to dry a bit more. :wink:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Ok cheers for putting my mind at ease Dave. Ill put a fresh pic up later.

First ensete would hate to lose it!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

not cut anymore off as you said Dave

latest pics

collins99

Post by collins99 »

I'm no gardening expert but there does seem to be a lot of un necessary fiddling about with a lot of ensetes on this thread , all that I do with mine every year is, and I've never lost one to rot, dig them out of the ground, knock most of the soil off and cut the roots back, then I tip them upside down for half an hour or so just to get the excess water from inside it. Then all I do is place them in empty large pots in a cool place and leave them until spring. They will keep growing until all the water has been used used up, the growth will be weak with not much light but I just cut all that off before I repot them getting them ready to start off again. From start to finish I can have them dug up and into place for winter in about 45 minutes , and then thats it till spring....

Nick...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

What you haven't said Nick ... how dry the place you are storing them is. I think the problem was people were trying to store in cold, damp places and if wet to start with they would not dry out.

My 'Montbeliardii' got rained on as I got it in so I put a fan at the base for a few hours to help dry it off. The problem was as the Ensete was a lot colder than the conservatory condensation was forming on it. The temp has stabilised overnight so it is dry this morning with the cut ends dried up already in the sun today.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Sat »

I got these ensete and some musa in the bathroom on the window sill. The central heating is now on most days, so its a warm bathroom. Previoulsy I was spraying the plant every 10 days. But now that it warm in there should I spray the plants daily or every 2 days?
Attachments
bbbbb.JPG
bbbbb.JPG (34.5 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Sat wrote:I got these ensete and some musa in the bathroom on the window sill. The central heating is now on most days, so its a warm bathroom. Previoulsy I was spraying the plant every 10 days. But now that it warm in there should I spray the plants daily or every 2 days?
What are you spraying with? If its pesticide for red spider mite every 10 days should be fine. If you are spraying water for humidity it should be daily but there is the risk of damp foliage rotting. Even better stand pots on trays of pebbles that you keep moist so there is constant humidity around the plants. But don't stand the plants in water.
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

collins99 wrote:I'm no gardening expert but there does seem to be a lot of un necessary fiddling about with a lot of ensetes on this thread , .............................. From start to finish I can have them dug up and into place for winter in about 45 minutes , and then thats it till spring....

Nick...
Nick - I agree wholeheartedly and have said so before. This is not THE way to overwinter Ensete. It is ONE way of overcoming hostile conditions and Ensete being tough often tolerates it.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Ensete v Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ian Cooke wrote:
collins99 wrote:I'm no gardening expert but there does seem to be a lot of un necessary fiddling about with a lot of ensetes on this thread , .............................. From start to finish I can have them dug up and into place for winter in about 45 minutes , and then that's it till spring....

Nick...
Nick - I agree wholeheartedly and have said so before. This is not THE way to overwinter Ensete. It is ONE way of overcoming hostile conditions and Ensete being tough often tolerates it.

True it's just one way. It just happens to be the most sensible way for most people as most people don't have a heated greenhouse or a conservatory which would reduce the chance of them getting rot etc.
Ideally I wouldn't store dry and cut back. I would store in a very tall heated green house with minimal watering.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have just checked on mine and think it could to hot for where it is stored.........can this be true ?....it in a dark kitchen cupboard....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
The Codfather

Re: Ensete v Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by The Codfather »

Ian Cooke wrote:
collins99 wrote:I'm no gardening expert but there does seem to be a lot of un necessary fiddling about with a lot of ensetes on this thread , .............................. From start to finish I can have them dug up and into place for winter in about 45 minutes , and then thats it till spring....

Nick...

what would you recomend Ian ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Where mine are stored the temp doesn't go below 5 degrees and up to around 10-15 on milder days.