Musa "Mekong Giant"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
That assessment is a bit negative don't you think? M sikkimensis grows at least as fast, if not quicker than basjoo even up at my latitude. Also Thai Black grows well for me. I'm sure there are loads of others as I'm not a big banana grower? Saying that if you mean hardiness then agree basjoo seems like the only hardy one.
Musa sikkimensis is off my list altogether, as dies back to ground level, or completely dies in winter.The only one I have left is a potted Red Tiger, that has grown 3 leaves this season and all 3 have been snapped off in the wind. It was about 6ft from Ensete Hiniba which has been unscathed by wind.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

I know a of a good Musa Sikkimensis Red Tiger in Steenwijkerwold. Its at the garden of de nursery ''De Groene Prins''. It can get minus 20 C there and colder.

Well I went there last August and there was a thriving Musa sikkimensis Red Tiger. But one secret to its succes is that it get covered every year before winter with a heap of 150 cm straw. In the center of that heap is the Musa sikkimensis. Well due to slow decay of the straw heat is generated and so it stays all winter warm and cosey. So a bit of work if you are prepared to do that.

Well with Musa basjoo you need less work. And if I had lived here in town in a house with a warm shelterd south facing garden I would defenitely plant a Musa sikkimensis Red Tiger against that house. And give it a thick mulch before winter sets in. Well with a house at one side you need also less mulch of autumnleaves or straw.

WWell in the UK in areas with milder winters then downhere, M. sikkimensis should be very well possible provided that extra care. Otherwise Musa basjoo is the best option.

Alexander
brendan

Post by brendan »

My largest Mekong has a 5 foot trunk and is still growing slowly outside in a pot. Decided to lift it out of its pot today to have a look at what was happening down below. I was surprised to see how big the runner was below it was about 2 inches thick and looked like it would take some containing if you wanted a tight group of Mekongs.
Im going to plant it out next year in a sheltered spot in a raised bed. The bed is incased in railway sleepers that are bedded on concrete so as long as the runners don't go to deep im hoping to keep it constricted to one area.It will be kept frost free in my greenhouse until it gets planted next year.
Attachments
0ctober 2013 mekong giant 069.JPG
0ctober 2013 mekong giant 070.JPG
0ctober 2013 mekong giant 071.JPG
0ctober 2013 mekong giant 073.JPG
0ctober 2013 mekong giant 074.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

here is the one that is trying its luck with winter in the garden

miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I just don't understand what's happening over there with your bananas..maybe lack of heat idk but mine is 10 ft or better the p stem is 12 inchs around and it is as hardy as bajoo..caged with straw it takes -12 or 13 with out a problem. just dosent seem like were growing the same bananas
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I took mine from the shelter area it was in and left it up the garden in full sun, and it has started to grow, but didn't in that position in summer. The only difference is the humidity is much higher now. icon_scratch
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

Dave Brown wrote:I took mine from the shelter area it was in and left it up the garden in full sun, and it has started to grow, but didn't in that position in summer. The only difference is the humidity is much higher now. icon_scratch
possible that is it since we have the high hum in the summer. I think one other factor is fertilizer..mine get insane amounts all summer. no chicken pellets banana fuel, special formulation banana fertilizer. The only thing that will stop a banana is lack of food. maybe trying some heavy doses of fert in the spring and you may get diff results. I'll take a pic of a few of mine before they get caged for the winter.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Pics of said Mekongs... this one is only 2 years old and handles the winters with ease

hedychium

Post by hedychium »

Hi I also have this banana I am wondering if it is hardy as musa basjoo it also has several pups would hate to lose the plant
Would be grateful for any advice
John
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

hedychium wrote:Hi I also have this banana I am wondering if it is hardy as musa basjoo it also has several pups would hate to lose the plant
Would be grateful for any advice
John

I would say yes it is..but 99% of the board would disagree with me
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its appears to be reliably hardy in the US but unreliably hardy in the Uk.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Its appears to be reliably hardy in the US but unreliably hardy in the Uk.
Have we tested it''s hardiness Kris?

I've seen posts saying it came through the winter, but the problem that many of us have had, is getting it to grow well in summer. It seems to want a warmer climate to get it going.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Its appears to be reliably hardy in the US but unreliably hardy in the Uk.
Have we tested it''s hardiness Kris?

I've seen posts saying it came through the winter, but the problem that many of us have had, is getting it to grow well in summer. It seems to want a warmer climate to get it going.
I don't recall anyone getting full stems through like basjoo last winter? My Mekong lost it's main stem even though it didn't see below 0 degrees so I feel it's more like Sikkimensis rather than basjoo regarding hardiness. A bit hit and miss.
Lets see how they do this winter with possibly a bit more cold.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

My smaller one got broken over by the wind last week but the big boy is fine..trying to grow out of the cage right now so it will need cut back again before to long. I will post pics in the spring on how it does with the cage method
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

So guys, how are your Mekong doing so far,at least the ones being protected? I'm still debating buying one at the mo and have just emailed Simon at Amulree re availability. Cant help thinking they look a tad 'delicate' from the pics from Dave B etc.
Nige