Where can I buy an Ensete ventricosum 'Montbeliardii'?

Kristen

Where can I buy an Ensete ventricosum 'Montbeliardii'?

Post by Kristen »

Are there any alternative suppliers for a Montbeliardii to Jingle Bells?

Amulree say "out of stock", perhaps they will get stock in the Spring, but I'd prefer to be certain (and to start bringing the plant on with Light / Heat to maximise size at the end of the Summer)

Do I need a larger (3L) specimen, or will a smaller (1L) one put on growth like the clappers during the Summer such that it won't make any difference come Autumn?

sanatic1234

Re: Where can I buy an Ensete ventricosum 'Montbeliardii'?

Post by sanatic1234 »

Don't really think the size would matter much in terms of growth kristen, it will be the weather that will play that part and how you water and feed it and so on. But JS are the ones that seem to have them a lot. £30 pound i think they are? i could be wrong as i can not remember fully from when i brought mine.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think Jungle plants are the only supplier. I can't imagine a 3ltr plant is much bigger than a 1 ltr one.

They grow very fast.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: They grow very fast.
I wish mine did kris. :lol: mine is potted though, i will no doubt see a major difference once planted this year.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks chaps, Jingle White it is then. I'll get the 1L and spend the "savings" on Nitrogen for it!

I wonder if I need one of their Dahlia imperialis whilst I'm at it ...
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

OK, just before I finalise my order is there anything else Must Have from Jingle White?

I've wandered all over the site and things seem expensive, and probably available elsewhere, but if you have any recommendations that I can only get from there, or are most cost effective there, please speak up. Otherwise I'll just get me a Montbeliardii

Thanks
Ste

Post by Ste »

There's no rush to finalise your order. They won't ship the montbeliardii until at least April/May, not until the last frost has gone. So you have around another 3 months to decide if you want anything else and can add to your order. I know this as I was on the phone to them the other week, I ordered the 3L montbeliardii online and when they posted my order confirmation it said 1L so I phoned and got it changed at their end. You give your bank details when ordering but nothing gets taken from your account until the shipping date hence that's why they say you can phone up and add more to your order
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks Ste. Just a bit bothered that the Montbeliardii is first-come-first-served, and I have no way of knowing when they are likely to run out. I could put an order in and then add to it later I guess ... particularly if they mail me any offers / new arrivals in the meantime.

I've had another good trawl of their site and haven't seen anything else want (except for a "Tara" ginger perhaps, which was already on my wishlist)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

But they would go by who ordered the earliest kristen as to who gets one mate. so if they were in stock when you ordered it then you will get one as one of those in stock already have your name on it. :wink:
Ste

Post by Ste »

That's what I mean, order your montbeliardii now and you can always add anything else at a later date. You don't pay for anything yet until shipping date. I don't know how many montbeliardii's they have so get your order in now whilst they are still in stock icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

sanatic1234 wrote:But they would go by who ordered the earliest kristen as to who gets one mate. so if they were in stock when you ordered it then you will get one as one of those in stock already have your name on it. :wink:
Sorry, misunderstood "There's no rush to finalise your order." as my post was about ... finalising my order because I wanted to get in the queue ... :)

I'll get my order in, then top-it-up if anything takes my fancy.

Thanks chaps.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Did you manage to order one Kristen?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Its (still!) next on my list of things to do !!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My plant (1L delivered beginning of April) today (14 June)

Pseudostem 55cm, height to top of leaf 160cm (the Sikkis next to it were grown from seed last year :) )
Ensete Montbeliardii
Ensete Montbeliardii
I also have a Ensete maurelii bought in Amulree Autumn Sale last year (probably 1 2L plant then)

Pseudostem 50cm, height to top of leaf 145cm (its been next to the door, so more exposed to breeze, but maybe its not as Speedy Gonzales! as the Montbeliardii anyway)
Ensete maurelii
Ensete maurelii
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It's a myth that E 'Montbeliardii' grows faster than other Ensete. It is because the leaves don't arch down, that it gets taller, not that it grows faster. It is also a myth that in needs heat to grow. It is quite happy at 12 to 15C in wet conditions, and slower in very dry conditions.

In terms of overall height, Standard green ventricosum is the monster of a plant, growing to 12m 40ft. Maurelii to about 7m, and Montbelardii to about 6m.

Overfeed it and it will pucker the leaves. :roll:

Kristen, you need to get yours in the sun, Mine has purple/black leaves, yours is very green.
Attachments
2012-06-10-13-28-26 Mighty Monty Planted.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright