Show us your maurelii's

eddie

Re: Show us your maurelii's

Post by eddie »

Mine is outside since the end of march, but has grown only a little. No new leave unrolling yet, the ones that grew during the time it was indoors turned brown. We had no frost since march, only grey wet & windy cold days with occasionally some sun.

It looks alive, so that's ok.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Could be because the soil was still cold eddie? plus the wet and windy conditions we have been getting. The maurelli will just be sat there doing nothing till the weather picks up and the roots become more active when the soil warms. I think the same happened to ste's. Just was not the right weather for planting out.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Yes, mine have certainly gone downhill since planting out. They were growing nicely when inside, about 5 big leaves each then I decided to plant out. Ever since planting out, every leaf has died and been removed but they do feel solid as if the roots have got a good hold.
Where the old leaves have been cut off, they have gone dry and crispy but not just a little bit - all the way down to the base so the more I remove, the thinner the plant is becoming. The only way I can describe it is the plants were about as thick as a fire extinguisher last month, now with keeping removing all the dried stuff they are about as thick as a pop bottle.
With all the dry bits gone, I have came back to a greenish colour so im hoping the plants are still alive.
Attachments
b1.JPG
b1.JPG (34.67 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
b2.JPG
b2.JPG (36.77 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
eddie

Post by eddie »

Same here Ste, but I don't think mine is a goner yet. There is a new roller coming, slowly but it's coming. I hope temps will rise some this summer, so it can grow to be the proud red giant it was last year.

All the wet & low temperatures don't make our nana's happy. I wouldnt be happy when my feet are in wet cold clay :D

Anyway, I still believe mine will start to grow quick and catch up with the lost days of this years growing season. Fingers crossed
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My Nanas seem to be OK after the cold. I cut off all the damaged leaves last week and the past few warm days have started them back into growth:

rush

Post by rush »

P8079191.jpg
P8079192.jpg
P8079192.jpg
HI ......would love to know if anyone has seen a maurelii..this colour ?
Attachments
P8079193.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mines a rosy red this year. All to do with heat and light levels. On the equator maurelli is almost all green.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mine are rubbish this year,lack of growth and slug damage makes them look like back row stuff for this season
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine are so mixed! One is around 6' tall (top of the tallest leaf) my other which is the same age is a good two feet behind. The tallest has been in a much damper shadier spot!?!

My two from Ebay are in pots and doing very, very little. My two from Morrisons are in the ground and have put out a few leaves. So varied. icon_scratch icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I only have the one planted out… it was 4ft tall at the end of May when I planted it, and now its 7ft.
I’ve been getting about a leaf a week so I’m pleased with it :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

IMG_3788_EnseteMaurelii.jpg
IMG_3785_EnseteMontbeliardii.jpg
jezza

Post by jezza »

Mine sits in full sun from 9am until 6pm and has concrete all around it. It's growing rapidly and all the leaves on it now are since i planted it in mid may...

HPIM7454.JPG
derrick

Post by derrick »

My Maurelii also not the same both i got this year one is six feet the other is more 3 or 4feet Montys about six feet but was a very small plant i got last october My green Ensete from last year just gets fatter with no height
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

IMG_4067.JPG
Here's my two, photo taken yesterday. For reference the fence height is 5'6" and I've used a standard measurement tool to show the girth.

This is their 3rd year I think. Overwintered in my lounge as there is nowhere else, stored in compost and very lightly watered, shoved ouside asap in May to give me my room back.

I think severe pruning will be needed to get them indoors this winter.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

think Im gunna try one of these next spring. wasnt much on esente before but Im starting to get there picked up a superbum yesterday might as well get one of these 2 :lol: