New banana, need I.D please

Addictedtopalms26

New banana, need I.D please

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Hi guys,

I got this banana earlier in the year and assumed it was Ensete ventricosum, until I read some recent posts on here and noticed that they had red centres to the leaves.

Heres some pictures:

Vagetarian

Re: New banana, need I.D please

Post by Vagetarian »

Well, it's definitely not an Ensete ventricosum.

Does a new roller start emerging before the last one has fully unfurled and has it had any black markings on the leaves?

It looks like a Dwarf Cavendish to me.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Vagetarian wrote:Well, it's definitely not an Ensete ventricosum.

Does a new roller start emerging before the last one has fully unfurled and has it had any black markings on the leaves?

It looks like a Dwarf Cavendish to me.
I thought it looks very much like my Musa dwarf Cavendish that I brought back from Turkey.
the one i have has much more red in the P-stem though!
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Yeah, looks like one to me, plus I noticed a lot of decent sized DCs for sale last year on ebay and at B&Q, so they're certainly around.
Addictedtopalms26

Yes it does Vagetarian, it has black dots on the older leaves and stem icon_thumleft

Thanks Palmer and Vagetarian, I've just searched a Musa dwarf Cavendish and it does look like one, mine could have some bananas too comparing it to the size of some on google images :D
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Scott, you're probably seeing some photos of 'Super Dwarf Cav' which fruits at 3 or 4 ft of pseudo stem whereas yours should fruit at about 8ft, so it's probably got a few years yet in this climate, unfortunately.

(PS - your chance of fruiting it outside is probably about 0% :( )
Addictedtopalms26

Oh haha I might just sit back and enjoy the foilage then! :D
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Vagetarian wrote:Scott, you're probably seeing some photos of 'Super Dwarf Cav' which fruits at 3 or 4 ft of pseudo stem whereas yours should fruit at about 8ft, so it's probably got a few years yet in this climate, unfortunately.

(PS - your chance of fruiting it outside is probably about 0% :( )

Not all dwarf cavs fruit a 8ft plus p-stem in their first year,some fruit at 5ft to 6ft.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Oh haha I might just sit back and enjoy the foilage then! :D

The cav family needs bright light and warm conditions year round,you can only realistically put it outside from June to mid September in the UK.
derrick

Post by derrick »

This Dwarf Cavendish some lady had in glass arch way in her home it was not that tall in flower this has heating in the winter time .Some of the international shops in Southampton have Cavendish flowers maybe you eat the flowers dunno
Attachments
20 June.jpg
derrick

Post by derrick »

This is my Super Dwarf Cavendish or ankle nanna i must of had 20 leaves but no height keeps out growing pots lots of roots for a small plant its been in conservatory all summer lots of pups
Attachments
DSCF2850.JPG
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Are you sure that first one is not a Super Dwarf Cav, derrick? Here is mine, been in the conservatory since last summer :lol:
DSC_0079.JPG

icon_salut
derrick

Post by derrick »

The first pictures about six feet with a fat trunk on it
derrick

Post by derrick »

They have very wide leaves on them much wider than basjoo and a fat trunk on Dwarf cavendish
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I'd go with DC as it looks exactly like mine.