Seeds of Musa sikkimensis (red tiger)

Julia

Seeds of Musa sikkimensis (red tiger)

Post by Julia »

My seeds have arrived today. I've Been having a good look around forum and have read posts on sowing these seeds.
But i have a few questions, if you dont mind :)
1) do I soak in warm water? Hot? Cold?
2) I'm going to have a go at bag method is this better with vermiculite or soil or both? I was going to put my bag in the airing cupboard.
3) Do i place the seeds in the middle of the bag ?

Also going to try and put some in pots as well.
4)How deep do I sow them?
5) is this just compost? Or with vermiculite ?

And is there anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance :)
fieldfest

Re: Seeds of Musa sikkimensis (red tiger)

Post by fieldfest »

ive tried seeds before, none germinated. you can buy corms for a fiver icon_thumleft
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Hi Julia, they could germinate just fine no matter which way you go with any of the variables you mention.

For the bag method I usually use those cheap microwave tubs, otherwise there's no point in 'sowing' them, just chuck them in because they're going to get mixed up. I use pure vermiculite in this case with only 1-2 table spoons of water per pint of vermiculite. Try to bury them at least the depth of the seed, they will go mouldy quicker on the surface.

If planting in pots of compost I would mix in up to 50% (but at least 20%) perlite, no vermiculite. Avoid over watering and tie in a sandwich bag to keep moist.

The airing cupboard may not be the best place for sikkimensis seeds right now, it is from the section of species which like a big day-to-night temperature swing (10+ degrees difference). If you have a sunny windowsill you may do better there, although it probably won't be long before you're forced to move them to the warmth of the airing cupboard anyway. I have germinated sikkimensis 'Daj Giant' in the airing cupboard in around 2 months.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave has posted that he prefers to use hot water for soaking seeds, the thinking being that the heat will expand any air inside the seeds, that will then escape and as it cools water is drawn into the seed. Repeat at intervals with fresh hand-hot hot water
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'm an advocate of not too hot with the water. That does work for canna, but I don't like to boil them. I prefer the warm, five day soak for musa. I wouldn't use the airing cupboard this time of year either, the window sill allows that temp swing that is preferable to musa seeds.
Julia, you've probably read about the erratic germination of banana seeds, so don't be put off when nothing happens for a few weeks(months)