spider mites

miketropic

spider mites

Post by miketropic »

I know this tends to be a big problem over there in the greenhouses but I have never had to deal with them...until now. I was looking at a cavendish I had outside still and it has all the signs of spider mites.. can't find any but it sure seems like it. how do you all treat them when/if you do get them and what seems to work the best.
flounder

Re: spider mites

Post by flounder »

Can't remember the name of the spray I've used, but you could start by increasing the humidity around the plant. Sponging the leaves with soapy water helps but doesn't eradicate it like an aphid attack
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I had spider mites on a Euphorbia Mellifera recently and doused the plant and the surrounding soil with Pravado at weekly intervals. It seems to be making a decent recovery at the mo. That`s my only experience with Red Spider Mite but everything i`ve read about them has said that they can be difficult to eradicate as they are resistant to most insectisides.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well I can't seem to find any mites..but all signs point to mites..and its on outside plants icon_scratch . as far as I can tell (fingers crossed) the stuff inside already is fine. there acually on some dwarf cavendish I was thinking about bringing in for the winter but if there covered in mites I'll just let them die I have one good one inside already.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Two options, post some piccies for a positive ID, cut off top growth, pot up and let it pup icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

looks like mites to me or a K deficency

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

It doesn't really look like either to me, it looks more like the natural deterioration of the leaves due to what I assume is the start of your autumn (fall)?

Spider mites will leave tiny white/grey speckles on the top of the leaf and underneath you can find what looks like tiny grains of sand, coloured from white to yellow to red. If you have this it's not very apparent from the photo, magnification is probably required for identification.

K def should cause the oldest leaves to die off rapidly, leaving a very reduced number of leaves. But you shouldn't really have to worry about that unless they're actually fruiting.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Red spider mite will also have an appearence of web like filaments, can't see that from the photo. I don't think its Red Spider Mite either. That looks more like a reaction to water and cooling air. Whats the minimum night temp you've had recently Mike?
Dim

Post by Dim »

if it is spider mite, this is supposed to be very good:

http://www.camgrow.co.uk/plant-vitality ... gs-larvae/

I have never needed to buy or use it though
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

flounder wrote:Red spider mite will also have an appearence of web like filaments, can't see that from the photo. I don't think its Red Spider Mite either. That looks more like a reaction to water and cooling air. Whats the minimum night temp you've had recently Mike?

recently it has been settling at about 4C each night suppose to be colder next week.. not sure if I want to bring these in or let them die.. there or the cavendish strain but IDK what one possible gran nan but most greenhouse in the US just stick a label on them so there hard to believe.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'd say its temperature and not insect damage then