Hedychium gardeniranum

miketropic

Re: Hedychium gardeniranum

Post by miketropic »

If your really lucky you can set some thing out at the end of April and be alright. then its hot hot hot till september. we are expecting the first killing frost this weekend so its a decent growing season.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I brought my potted gardnerianum into the conservatory last week and it now has it's first ever flower spike coming. :DD

I sprouted some H. ellipticum and densiflorum seeds this spring and they're coming on well but I very much doubt they'll flower next year. All the initial shoots are very thin and flimsy, each successive one getting slightly fatter and sturdier. It seems that it will be a while before they grow the kind of stems that grow from a decent rhizome and produce flowers.

On the subject of ginger flowers, I'm just waiting to see how unspectacular my Zingiber officinale flower is before I turn it into stir fry sauce. :DD
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

MineWas planted out last year in April it flowered prolifically in mid October .this year despite being knocked to the ground it has reached its 4x4ft stature but alas no flowers asyet I think I will cut it in. Half and bring a piece in for next year
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I ordered some of these seeds last night and they should be here in a few days. any idea on germination time for these. Id like to start them ASAP so the seeds are as fresh as can be but I don't want to get caught with a 5 ft plant in feb. anyone tried these from seed before.