Overwintering Ensete Maurelii.

jungle jas

Overwintering Ensete Maurelii.

Post by jungle jas »

I have a small one of the above that i want to grow on over winter. I have been told to give it as much light as possible, keep it above 5C and keep it almost dry. Is this information correct or do any of you have a better way of keeping them growing. Thanks Jas. icon_thumright
joolz68

Re: Overwintering Ensette Murelli.

Post by joolz68 »

I bought mine this yr but ive dug it,left it upside and waiting for the soil round the roots to dry off before i store it til next yr as i thought thats what you did icon_scratch so sorry no help but will learn from the exp people on here as im new at this jas :D
dino

Post by dino »

Hi Jas, yes that's how I keep mine because I've got the space but most dry store them as Jools eludes to.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks both. I have the space and it looks to attractive to dry off. So Ill try to keep it growing. Should be a nice size by next year. icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

If its only a small one, I'd keep it growing rather than the full dry method. It might not have the food reserves for a few months of 'stasis' and if you've got the room why risk it :wink:
Tom2006

Re: Overwintering Ensete Maurelii.

Post by Tom2006 »

I will be trying to lift mine today if the kids will give me more than five minutes to myself!?!? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are 3 main ways to overwinter, and are largely dictated by size of the Ensete. This applies to all Ensete ventricosum and varieties/cultivars etc.

These are Ensete ventricosum (species)
Ensete v. Maurelii
Ensete v. Montbeliardii
Ensete v. Hiniba

All Ensete can be kept growing if space allows, but they tend to grow leggy even in direct full sun, as it is very low and dark for too long. Keep growing in best light possible with max above 10C and Min 5C, Keep almost dry, only watering from the bottom.

1) - Small Ensete, pseudostem diameter less than 5cm (2in) treat as above.

2) - Larger Ensete, can be dried out left in the pot, although particular attention needs to be paid to ensuring the compost is dry. Remove from the pot and stand on wads of newspaper to suck moisture out. Leave leaves on to start with to help draw water out of the plant. These can be removed once dried. This method will allow the ensete to be stored cooler.
Ensete ventricosum (species) - min 5C
Ensete v. Maurelii - min 3C
Ensete v. Montbeliardii - min -2C
Ensete v. Hiniba - not fully tested but same a Maurelii or possibly lower.

3) - Large Ensete. This method is used on very large Ensete as planted out and will suffer root damage in digging out anyway, and the soil ball would make too heavy to lift. Remove leaves before digging out, then remove soil from between roots, and stand bare root in a large pot or tub. Same temps as above in 2)

In all cases low humidity helps over winter, but Red Spider Mite will be a problem on the 'kept growing' ones. High humidity during storage may result in rot setting in. Wrapping in storage is not recommended as will also encourage rot. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

As Dave says. icon_salut
Further point if kept growing over winter then green fly will need dealing with, leaves will guttate and any leaves grown indoors are very likely to snap off as soon as it goes outside.
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Ive measured 3 inch :D its upside down in a paper lined pot at the moment ,im removing more compost as it drys out...Can the roots be trimmed or doesnt it matter? only my kitten keeps playing with them :roll:
Thanks julie x
flounder

Post by flounder »

Are we talking 3in diameter of the psuedostem or overall height(or lack of it)?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

joolz68 wrote:Ive measured 3 inch :D its upside down in a paper lined pot at the moment ,im removing more compost as it drys out...Can the roots be trimmed or doesnt it matter? only my kitten keeps playing with them :roll:
Thanks julie x

You can cut the roots off as it will grow new ones next year. Think if it like a tulip bulb.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i prefer the onion comparison.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:i prefer the onion comparison.

Same difference. :wink:
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Mr List wrote:i prefer the onion comparison.
What is the onion comparison? ive never grown them icon_scratch
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
joolz68 wrote:Ive measured 3 inch :D its upside down in a paper lined pot at the moment ,im removing more compost as it drys out...Can the roots be trimmed or doesnt it matter? only my kitten keeps playing with them :roll:
Thanks julie x

You can cut the roots off as it will grow new ones next year. Think if it like a tulip bulb.
Cheers kris,feels more relaxing your way :D