Should ensetes be dug ASAP or left until very cold?

ourarka

Should ensetes be dug ASAP or left until very cold?

Post by ourarka »

Now that the weather looks to have warmed up (relatively speaking) for a little while, especially down here, I just wondered what the advantages of leaving ensete maureliis out vs. lifting and drying now are?

Essentially - should I lift and dry now, with all the potential problems of lengthy dry storage ... or do I leave them in the ground, even though the weather is likely to be damp and not very warm (in ensete terms!!)
flounder

Re: Should ensetes be dug ASAP or left until very cold?

Post by flounder »

Personal preference down here, mines still out. We can extend the growing season by a good couple of weeks in sussex compared to more northern climbs. I tend to watch the weather forecasts....and Dave Brown! When boss man gets a shimmy on, its time to (roughly) do the same :wink:
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

That was probably the answer I was hoping for ... as it would always seem better to minimise the time they are out of the ground (like the length of time basjoos are wrapped for ... which I am going to keep to an absolute minimum this year).

Apart from the cold, I just wondered how miserable it has to be before Ensetes maureliis start really suffering in the ground?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would lift them now and dry...unless you can be sure of drying them very quickly. As all the weather signs are we could be looking at a very cold November.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:I would lift them now and dry...unless you can be sure of drying them very quickly. As all the weather signs are we could be looking at a very cold November.
Is your interpretation of the models ? The recent Arctic blast which caused panic on the forum, was the same as most here, downgraded as we got closer to it. I say what I have always said. I watch the 5 day to plan, and the 2 day to act.

My smallish Hiniba has been dug out but planted in a small tub so will grow on for a while yet, The big Maurelii and 'Montbeliardii', will stay out for as long as possible. They will take a light frost in the ground with no problem :wink:

I think one of the problems is quite a few members don't have a greenhouse, garage, or shed, so have no-where to put plants to dry off between digging out and storage. My plants dug out as late as December, are stood in front of a de humidifier and fan heater to dry off :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I would lift them now and dry...unless you can be sure of drying them very quickly. As all the weather signs are we could be looking at a very cold November.
Is your interpretation of the models ? The recent Arctic blast which caused panic on the forum, was the same as most here, downgraded as we got closer to it. I say what I have always said. I watch the 5 day to plan, and the 2 day to act.

My smallish Hiniba has been dug out but planted in a small tub so will grow on for a while yet, The big Maurelii and 'Montbeliardii', will stay out for as long as possible. They will take a light frost in the ground with no problem :wink:
Dave, I hate the cold, and would love to advise that an indian summer is on route, sadly its not, all the signs are for an average to cold autumn/winter. Some people don't have time to keep an eye on the weather, so I don't see any harm in giving an early warning, even if it doesn't actually happen. Better to be in the know, and prepare (I wouldn't have used the term panic), and find out it isn't as bad as forecast. icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

my ensete is still growing new leaves/rollers, does this indicate it isn't dry enough?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:my ensete is still growing new leaves/rollers, does this indicate it isn't dry enough?
It's not gone dormant yet as has enough moisture in it to grow.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:
Dave, I hate the cold, and would love to advise that an indian summer is on route, sadly its not, all the signs are for an average to cold autumn/winter. Some people don't have time to keep an eye on the weather, so I don't see any harm in giving an early warning, even if it doesn't actually happen. Better to be in the know, and prepare (I wouldn't have used the term panic), and find out it isn't as bad as forecast. icon_thumleft
All I can say is there is a tendency for it to get whipped up into panic, and then hysteria :roll: A comment like "cold night on the way" can end up with replies like "dug my whole garden out for winter" ..... in September :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:
All I can say is there is a tendency for it to get whipped up into panic, and then hysteria :roll: A comment like "cold night on the way" can end up with replies like "dug my whole garden out for winter" ..... in September :lol:
That is why I said I wait until you do your headless chicken impersonation before I go a diggin' :lol:
Even my musa cavs are still outside! A benefit of being in the southern part of the UK. I did bring in my heliconia as it was looking a little unhappy
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:
I suppose that is a very slight downfall of being on a site like this, you can get swept up in things. I have hardly done anything this year due to three kids and work. I hardly get out into the garden to look at it, let alone protect it....so its good job we haven't had stupid cold.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I'm sensing that 'leave them out' gets the vote. I do keep a close eye on the weather so should be able to pick up on any very cold snaps forecast. I don't have a de-humidifer but have good garage/greenhouse/conservatory space so it shouldn't be a problem. Would central heating not dry them out quick, so long as they weren't left in the warm once dry?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

ourarka wrote:Would central heating not dry them out quick, so long as they weren't left in the warm once dry?
Yes that would work fine, just most have objecting other halves :lol: Mine are subjected to up to 25C before being potted up for growing on in spring. The Ethiopian dry season has warm days and cold nights. Could be 25/30C by day and 5C at night. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:
Mr List wrote:my ensete is still growing new leaves/rollers, does this indicate it isn't dry enough?
It's not gone dormant yet as has enough moisture in it to grow.

advice?

it is by a southwest facing window/bright place but a cool not warm/hot place,
should i just let it grow to use up the moisture?
move to somewhere really hot for a while?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Since my four have been near to the radiator they have dried out very quickly. The potted one in the same room seems to be doing well so far.