Musa sikkimensis & Musa nagensium

matty k

Musa sikkimensis & Musa nagensium

Post by matty k »

Hi, Im Matt
New to the forum and serching for advice about my dozen or so Musa Sikkimensis and Musa Nagensium which i have grown from seed at the start of the year. They are all about 1.5ft tall now but not sure what to do over winter? Do i treat like cannas and ensetes?
Regards
flounder

Re: Musa sikkimensis & Musa nagensium

Post by flounder »

Hi Matt. Welcome. I'd be more inclined to keep them growing over winter as they are first year plants. Keep frost free and on the dryish side. I just hope you've room! icon_thumleft
matty k

Post by matty k »

Thanks for the advice flounder. I was not sure and installed an electric warm air blower in my green house via a frost stat set at 2deg. I think the bubble wrap in the green house should keep the frost at bay.
Regards
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Matt icon_cheers

Yes, both these nanas should be kept cool and on the dry side for the winter.
grub

Post by grub »

Nagensium might be a Nana to try in a mild coastal area too, it does have some hardiness and handles the early frosts better than Basjoo. I have trialled it but -9C always sees it off :(
James Moore

Post by James Moore »

Last year I chopped the leaves off, potted them up in the smallest pot possible and put them up in my loft. Survived beautifully, except my Formosana :( which grew a very long leaf and died.