whats the record for fastest banana seed germination

redsquirrel

whats the record for fastest banana seed germination

Post by redsquirrel »

ive just cracked some cheapo ventricosum seeds from ebay in 10 days?? potted up the biggest one today @2inches ..whats the fastest you have done them?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
flounder

Re: whats the record for fastest banana seed germination

Post by flounder »

I've had them germinate in 6-7 days, constant heat 28-30c. Thats with a 3 day soak so ......9-10 days also
Last edited by flounder on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Well done to both your quicknesses icon_thumleft

I got some going, once, only the once, but was just pleased I had germination :lol: They are long gone now, my fault.

What was the seller on eBay Darren? If they have anymore, I'd like to give it another go.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Ensete ventricosum in about three months. (The ONLY one :shock: )
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

DiCasS wrote:Well done to both your quicknesses icon_thumleft

I got some going, once, only the once, but was just pleased I had germination :lol: They are long gone now, my fault.

What was the seller on eBay Darren? If they have anymore, I'd like to give it another go.

Di
here you go Di,a link to some more im looking at.i had 6 packs of seeds for 1 postage charge.well pleased with seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-SEEDS-MUSA ... 27ce6121b1
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks for the link Darren, will have a look through. Good prices for 30 seeds icon_thumleft

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

redsquirrel wrote:ive just cracked some cheapo ventricosum seeds from ebay in 10 days?? potted up the biggest one today @2inches ..whats the fastest you have done them?
Wow I wish the 3 lots of seed I have in would grow I know i know its only been 10 days since they were planted after a week in soak....but i cant help but think there not going to grow. So if they are I wish they would hurry up. :roll: I know they could take months if they even grow lol But one cant help but worry like an expectant father :><: :lol:

well done on your 10 days!! icon_cheers

regards
steve icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

I found the one thing you need for banana seed germination, is the same as a lot of palm seed germination....patience!!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

How do folk check for germination?

I probably got lucky the first time I grew Musa as I got about 50% germination.

Having since read of poor germination percentages I bought "quite a lot of seed" :lol: this time. Also bought some Travellers Palm seed.

I have them in zip-lock bags full of Sphagnum moss on a reptile mat (on a timer on for 12 hours with thermostat set at 30C, off time will revert to room temperature which is around 20C)

I tip the whole bag out into a dish, once a week, to carefully check for signs of germination, and then pour the bowl back into the bag, but I'm worried that I might break an emerging root doing that?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Kristen, I use cheap sandwich tubs as sealed seed trays. That way I can just watch through the transparent lid (opening weekly for gas exchange).

I've had some of my best luck with Musa seeds from this seller, the more reliable species that is (Musella, velutina, etc), some species seem impossible no matter what.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I like the sound of sandwich tubs, thanks.

Tipped my ziplock bags out for the weekly inspection today. The sphagnum moss was bone dry and hot-to-touch at the bottom next to the reptile mat. I wonder if I ought to keep them off the mat itself so it just heats the air? The mat / bags are in an oddments storage box with lid.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've had this happen in my propagator in the past Kristen where the perlite has dried out in the tubs and the tub has been quite hot so I place my tubs on slim upturned containers and this has solved the problem. icon_cheers
redsquirrel wrote:
here you go Di,a link to some more im looking at.i had 6 packs of seeds for 1 postage charge.well pleased with seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-SEEDS-MUSA ... 27ce6121b1
Went for the Musa Thomsonii in the end as I couldn't get any ensette, and so far have had three germinate. icon_thumleft - Only 10% but that's 10 percent more than I usually get with ensette. In the past I've had bit better luck with Musas, but will try again with ventricosum some time as I do think these are gorgeous nanas.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.