I'm getting impatient

jawsum

I'm getting impatient

Post by jawsum »

Hello all, this is my first winter/spring with my two Basjoo's, B1 & B2. They have been here in the unheated greenhouse all winter and I gave them some water last week. I really thought they would be on the move again by now. What should i expect to happen and when ?

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
Mr List

Re: I'm getting impatient

Post by Mr List »

when it is warm and sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, they should move when it warms up. Is it just the lighting or are the upper sections grey in colour?...if so could it be mould?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Gradually cut the top back an inch or two at a time until you reach living tissue. The chances are that the top has died back. It may be growing slowly but if a foot down inside the pseudostem it may take a week or two to emerge. Also damaged rollers can plug the stem, ultimately forcing the new growth to split out of the side.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by daftbanana »

If your greenhouse is unheated then they will be a bit slow starting and perhaps more so this year than usual with the current weather. If you can heat your greenhouse, even to just 5-10C that would help bring things on faster. As Dave has said, good idea to cut back bit by bit until you see some healthy green material in the centre - that will prove that they are ok and you just need a little patience and some warmer weather! If your not adding heat then it's perhaps a little early to water and you could rot them completely if your not careful. If the grey area is rot, then some air circulation would be good if temps are above freezing.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

concur once youve found living tissue, as soon as the temps get back to average and we get some sun, they'll be off icon_salut
jawsum

Post by jawsum »

Thanks everyone, very informative as usual