Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Nathan

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm

RogerBacardy wrote:This basjoo, near(ish) to where I live, is flowering this year. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/M7ukH

It's on a south-facing slope. Probably just as well he has a waterbutt right next to it! http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Ban ... z2Vo6BI0Vz
Newspaper stories like that do amuse me! Musa basjoo flowering & producing 'fruits' certainly isn't as rare as they make out, at least not round these parts. And the guy obviously has no clue as he doesn't even know that it is a basjoo & thinks it will produce proper sized edible bananas :lol:

Alexander

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Alexander » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:51 am

A good freely flowering Musa basjoo is de Musa basjoo ''Bunge Bunga'' clone from Italy. I have a young cutting here now from Italy. Well the best Musa basjoo I have ever seen where in Italy, wich is as we now know a proper banana republic. Even the logo of Lega Nord show a gren circhel with a green star in the center. Thats exactly how a bananaplant looks as you see it from above.

And M. bajoo ''Bunga Bunga'' is vigorous and sexy plant and indespansable for any exotic garden...

Alexander

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Dave Brown » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 am

Didn't manage to stop my Musa basjoo from flowering. This clump has been there for 15 years or so and the first time it has flowered.

Not sure I agree with a set number of leaves then flower, as the the stems on this clump have remained for a least 6 or 7 years and grow around 8 to 10 leaves each through the course of a season, so these have had around 48 to 60 leaves.
Attachments
2013-08-01 14-27-06 Musa basjoo flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

call

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by call » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 am

Nathan wrote:
RogerBacardy wrote:This basjoo, near(ish) to where I live, is flowering this year. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/M7ukH

It's on a south-facing slope. Probably just as well he has a waterbutt right next to it! http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Ban ... z2Vo6BI0Vz
Newspaper stories like that do amuse me! Musa basjoo flowering & producing 'fruits' certainly isn't as rare as they make out, at least not round these parts. And the guy obviously has no clue as he doesn't even know that it is a basjoo & thinks it will produce proper sized edible bananas :lol:
omg i have just read this :lol:
and he thinks its a plantain LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
and he ate basjoo fruits I bet he got a bit more than he bargained for

Alexander

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Alexander » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:39 am

Dave Brown wrote:Didn't manage to stop my Musa basjoo from flowering. This clump has been there for 15 years or so and the first time it has flowered.

Not sure I agree with a set number of leaves then flower, as the the stems on this clump have remained for a least 6 or 7 years and grow around 8 to 10 leaves each through the course of a season, so these have had around 48 to 60 leaves.
Why should you stop it? I have had them into flower several years when we had those very mild winters and warm summers. Well if you do not want flowers then do not protect them in winter. But then they will stay small for ever!

Alexander

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 am

Alexander wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Didn't manage to stop my Musa basjoo from flowering. This clump has been there for 15 years or so and the first time it has flowered.

Not sure I agree with a set number of leaves then flower, as the the stems on this clump have remained for a least 6 or 7 years and grow around 8 to 10 leaves each through the course of a season, so these have had around 48 to 60 leaves.
Why should you stop it? I have had them into flower several years when we had those very mild winters and warm summers. Well if you do not want flowers then do not protect them in winter. But then they will stay small for ever!

Alexander
I haven't tried Alexander. Just fitting the wording around the topic title :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

Post Reply