Pupping Ensete Maurelii Corm?

pdid

Pupping Ensete Maurelii Corm?

Post by pdid »

Any tips on how to go about pupping ensete's from the corm. I have 4 which have rotted back to corm but the corm is still firm. Should I pot them into pure perlite, or 50/50 with compost? And should I bury the whole corm or leave the top above the soil? And how long is this likely to take? and heat requirements?

Sorry lots of questions but not much info about on this.

Thanks
pdid

Re: Pupping Ensete Maurelii Corm?

Post by pdid »

No-one? :-(
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

No guarantees, but warmth and moist free draining compost, might get them going again, I'd leave the top just above soil level. Had similar situation with Cannas, they look firm and alive but after 6 months they do nothing. Time to bin them !! Good luck ! :D
grub

Post by grub »

You need to kill the meristem, a hammer is good for this icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I was also hoping someone would reply to this poser as I think I might have lost my 2 Maurelli after bringing them out of the greenhouse and them getting wet by rain. It went cold again so they had to go back inside but the leaves all just fell over so I cut the stem back in a pollarding kind of way. No movement since but the corms don't seem to have rotted and they feel well rooted in the pots.

After reading Gary's suggestion I have brought them into the house where the temperature is constantly above 15c rather than them fluctuating between 40c daytime and 5c nights.

Fingers crossed! Thanks to Gary for the advice and Phil for posting the thread. Hope yours pull through too.

;)
grub

Post by grub »

grub wrote:You need to kill the meristem, a hammer is good for this icon_thumright
harryc

Post by harryc »

Here is a link with some success in regard to getting them to pup

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... p?p=128753

H
pdid

Post by pdid »

Thanks for the replies and the link, I'll repot to a more free draining mix tomorrow. I might give them a bit of hammer time too cheers grub :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I plan to do a video on this next year. I will be using a hammer or a screwdriver and crossing my fingers because it's not garunteed. I would get it rooted and growing though before giving it a good bashing.