Canna musa trex care

Billy

Canna musa trex care

Post by Billy »

Hello all I'am just introducing some tropicals this year and have some colocasias ,musa basjoo canna tropicanna and a trex I'am feeding them with slow release food and watering them with water from my koi pond because I read somewhere that tropical type plants can be planted in the margins of a pond because they like the nutrients in the water would be grateful for any advice thanks Billy
Blairs

Re: Canna musa trex care

Post by Blairs »

Some Colocasia can be planted in pond margins but only during summer. Canna grow in bog like conditions in their native habitat, but I would not keep them that wet in the much colder UK summer and never over winter! I find that larger Canna over winter better after being dug up and sprayed occasionally in a frost free place. Musa like damp soil, but not pond margins during summer as the soil also has to be free draining. Would also not place a Tetrapanax is such wet conditions - mine grow well is well draining soil near a south facing wall with a bark mulch and me watering it (hardly any rain since March here)
Billy

Re: Canna musa trex care

Post by Billy »

Thanks for the reply I think I'll keep them in pots for the first year then ,do you think watering them with water from the koi pond is a good idea thanks again Billy..