Signs of over watering

B19bst

Signs of over watering

Post by B19bst »

I could be wrong but since the last week where the weather has been so intense I have been watering everyday. Now all of a sudden my cheesemanii banana has decided to go crispy and shrivaled . Now is this a sign of too much watering or something else. It does get direct sun but only all afternoon til around 4 .
Andy P

Re: Signs of over watering

Post by Andy P »

I`ve always been of the opinion that you can`t really over- water a banana plant.
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Well that's what I thought but its only ever since I upped it from every other day to every day. So a bit annoyed and confused as to why its done it.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I think watering in the heat of the day is a truly bad thing and can cause foliage to burn and cook.

In 25c+ temperatures hough, there's really no alternative but to water.

I doubt anyone is overwatering planted, or even free draining potted, plants as the water table is lower than usual due to drought conditions and you'd really need to drop a huge quantity of water onto a garden for it to be unable to soak away below the roots of anything other than a large tree. The evaporation rates are very high at the moment, my pond is dropping about 1.5 inches per week in water level.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Try watering early morning or in the evening when it's cooler. The soil will be quite warm during the heat of the day and i would think chucking cold water on it would give it a shock. Just like we would if some numpty chucked water over us.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Check for red spider mites and ensure roots are not rotten. icon_salut
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Watering isn't done til 10 most nights as I work late so time wise isn't a problem. Just confused as to why its done what it's done.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I water my bananas every night. They can't get enough

Put some pics up.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Intense sun, heat, and low humidity causes crisping. Bananas can take as much sun as you can give them IF THEY ARE USED TO IT, My M mannii which must have full sun, wilts like crazy at lunchtime at the moment, as the roots are not geared up to deliver as much water as they are using.

I'd hose down and slightly shade a crisping Banana. The M mannii is the only Banana is all day sun, with the others getting shade for part of the day. and all growing well.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright