Heliconia ideas

DavidF

Heliconia ideas

Post by DavidF »

Following from my bathroom houseplant thread I would like to purchase a Heliconia. I don't know anything about them apart from they are swines to keep alive outside so any species hints and tips would be great.

It can get to a least 5ft and if it thrived I'm sure it could be found a home that would allow it to get even taller. Does anyone know any good sources for them? They would have to do mail order unless they were oop North (so mail order it is then).

I have never seen one for sale in a garden centre so I'm assuming they aren't too common? Thanks in advance..
SteveW

Re: Heliconia ideas

Post by SteveW »

I don't know much about heliconias Dave,but have a look at Aishah's ebay shop for ideas(no link sorry,I'm having computer problems :evil: )
Mark

Post by Mark »

Petefree

Post by Petefree »

David
It might be worth you asking the question on GOTE too? I suspect Chris (hilts) may be able to give a steer.
Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Fletch, I was given a Heliconia by Kentgardener, last weekend, apparently his came from Don, not a million miles from you. Perhaps Don has some input :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Don »

Yes Dave, that was a monster pot bound thing that Mark Hall and Steve W dissected at the Wisley meet. It was a Bihai and lived (just) outside during the previous two fairly mild winters. It never made any flowers but was a good substitute for a hardy musa. I guess it may be too big eventually to fit on a bathroom windowsill but worth a go
Mark

Post by Mark »

Don, your one would be far too big to plonk on a window cill. Fletch, you would do better to stick to one od the smaller Heliconias Like psittacorum Andromeda or even Heliconia Stricta Dwarf Jamaican. Both the Psittacorums and Stricta are small heliconias. I used to have quite a few types many moons ago and found they needed high humidity to grow well.

I am not sure if you have the Squires GCs OOp north but you usually see them for sale in the house plant section for around £12 -£15.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don wrote:Yes Dave, that was a monster pot bound thing that Mark Hall and Steve W dissected at the Wisley meet. It was a Bihai and lived (just) outside during the previous two fairly mild winters. It never made any flowers but was a good substitute for a hardy musa.
Don, just confirming..... was hardy outside... Ooop North :shock: I thought these were as fussy as Coconuts..... 100% humidity and min of 21C or I'm just going to die on you :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

Don wrote:Yes Dave, that was a monster pot bound thing that Mark Hall and Steve W dissected at the Wisley meet.
Oi! I did all the hard work with the saw! I seem to remember Mark just stood and watched!

John
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

kentgardener wrote:
Don wrote:Yes Dave, that was a monster pot bound thing that Mark Hall and Steve W dissected at the Wisley meet.
Oi! I did all the hard work with the saw! I seem to remember Mark just stood and watched!

John
Maybe dons memeorys not quite what it used to be :o :lol:
I know I supplied the saw and offered an opinion of where 'we' should cut it.
Out of curiosity how are everybodys doing btw?
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

I was wrong.... it was SteveW that stood around watching! :lol:
Mark Hall and KentGardener getting to grips with Don's big one.
Mark Hall and KentGardener getting to grips with Don's big one.

Mine is doing very well - also managed to get 3 spare bits off it that are now with Dave, Gaz and Ali if my memory serves me.

John
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

:lol: Aww man busted :lol: ,but if I hadn't brought the saw none of it would've been possible :wink: ....
so in a way I think you can safely say I was in charge :lol: