Musa Siam Ruby (Weedby)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa siam ruby

Post by Dave Brown »

Maybe one of the last shots of my SR this year as it is starting to lose it's colour as sun light levels fall.
12102008 009.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Well done Dave, that made a good size in a year.
Are you going to winter it at that size or are you going to shorten it?
I know its testing time and there is very little experience with these so mine is going into the greenhouse that will be heated with lows of 4 degrees (or thereabouts).
We need a wide range of wintering places to see how they fare.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade it has made that size in 5 months :lol:

It will be going into the conservatory which gets down to about 6C. I will try to leave it as full as possible after Randy put a link to that website which spoke of sweet fleshed fruit. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Palmer »

A superb specimen Dave icon_salut and amazing growth in such a short space of time :shock: I will be interested to see it come on next summer, what size stem do they flower on ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks Tony, I am pleased with it. Did a google search and came up with Central Florida Farms who say 8 to 12 feet, but that may be pseudostem. Some interesting background on HERE Seemed to have a bargain from Simon at Amulree as Central Florida Farms want $44.95 :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This may be a much better grower in cool contitions than we initially thought. Mine is still growing a leaf in 2/3 weeks. max Temps are down to between 13 and 21C with mins in single figures. Florida Farms has this as a zone 9 to 11 banana. Over the last week temps have been 8 to 20C and it wilts if not watered so still in active growth, and the roller in the pic is almost open now.icon_thumright

What temps and growth are the others getting :?:
30102008 garden 001.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Mines been stripped of leaves and is tucked up somewhere in the greenhouse tardis.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:Mines been stripped of leaves and is tucked up somewhere in the greenhouse tardis.
Might need to keep an eye on it drying out if still growing. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mushtaq86 »

im having the same problem with musa siam ruby, dave it wants more water than i am giving it.
Don

Post by Don »

mushtaq86 wrote:im having the same problem with musa siam ruby, dave it wants more water than i am giving it.
What's wrong?--you on a water metre or summat :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote:im having the same problem with musa siam ruby, dave it wants more water than i am giving it.
What's wrong?--you on a water metre or summat :lol:
Nomally I start cutting down on water for bananas at this time of the year, but Siam Ruby disapproves, and shows it :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

You guys must have a much better clone than my Thailand one,its areal wimp.First sign of cold and you can virtually see it shiver :lol: Moved the big momma into the house last week because of it,and its sent out a new leaf to thank me :D ain't that nice :lol:
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

nice one don :lol: :lol: :lol: i think the problem with mine is i have brought inside,and put it in the south facing front room next to the ae ae,the the temp is not going down less than 15c
with lots of light coming in.I am only giving it a glass of water a week.I only noticed when the leaves started to turn yellow and brown on the edges,my first thoughts were,i have overwatered another banana plant.I put the soil tester probes in,it was reading the soil was moist,but when i stuck my finger in two inches into the soil,it was dry,so i gave it more water than i do and it has started to grow again.
helen

Post by helen »

Mine looked a bit droopy, then decidedly off. So, I de-potted it today, pulled off the stem, and found a big, fat grub had made a nest right in the top of the corm. :evil:

Degrubbed, re-potted, and now I've got my fingers crossed....
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thought I would show you a picture taken from B.Org from a guy who seems to have a Variegated Siam Ruby 8) it was one of the TCd batch that has started to show better colouring and then one of the members said that it was that colour due to it possibly being Variegated.
Siam%20Ruby%20new%20leaf%20really%20bright%20red.JPG
Holy_color_Change.JPG
I want one !!