Musa Siam Ruby (Weedby)

Owen

Re: Musa siam ruby

Post by Owen »

So what sort of temps did people see the siam rubies start dropping/dieing?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Owen, Mine I'm pretty sure was due to needing watering in warm sunny weather at the end of December with coservatory temps going up to 21C. I watered it as it had started to wilt, and it recovered back to normal. However, we then went into a cold dull spell with temps in the conservatory between 8 and 10C. I think the problem was getting cold with damp compost :roll: After a couple of days the leaves wilted badly, snapping the stems under their weight. The compost was damp so not drying out problem. I think it lost a lot of roots to rot. :roll:

In summary. It drooped after getting down to 8C with damp compost. I think it is better dry in colder temps. :wink:

The growing roller has started to get a bit red colouring over the last couple of days icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Just digging up this old thread for a minute how is everyone's Siam Ruby doing ?

Infortunately mine fried in the sun today while i was at work some leaves have bleached white, just when the stem was starting to turn a nice shade of red as well. :( I put it back in the shade of the greenhouse to recover. I think it will go back out in filtered sunlight next time along with my yunnanensis which suffered in a similar way.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi MM, I was going to take a pic of mine today as it is colouring up nicely. The original stem I cut down in March after the growth was very weak. It has grown back a bit but one of the pups has taken over with strongest growth. :roll:

There is a bit of a disscussion on the Phoenix roebelienii thread about sunburn, and how plants in a greenhouse don't burn in full sun, but plants in a house do. I find my P. roebelenii burns after growing in the conservatory, but where it stands it only gets light through the triple skin translucent poly roof, where as the Siam Ruby gets full sun throught the double glazed doors. Also It goes out whenever sunny and not cold from mid March onward. I stand it just outside the consevatory doors so it gets a double whammy of sun. Full sun directly, and reflected light from the glass. :wink:
Attachments
010609 Siam Ruby 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

My ruby mushed in the heated greenhouse, still got too cold for it.
If Amulree take some to Hampton Court again Ill probably get another to see if I can get it through another (hopefully milder) winter.
Steve are they still around the £20 mark?
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

adrian
what temp did you have the greenhouse.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine went down to about 7C, but it did collapse (leaves) in January so was not happy. Eventually I cut the stem back in March. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Looking good Dave icon_thumleft Hopefully my other one will colour up as well with a little less direct sunlight exposure.

Adrian, Amulree's www site isnt showing stock of Siam ruby, they certainly had a fair few in last time i was there though. Darren of newforestHostas on ebay has a few for sale if you cant find one elsewhere.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks MM. NFH is just down the road from me but I think he's mail order only and Im not keen on having plants posted.
Im not going to panic to get another one but they are very nice bananas.

Mushtaq, the greenhouse went to around 5c.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade mine was not much warmer then but I have a dehumidifier so it it stays around 60 to 70%, without it, it was 95% most of the winter and that may be a problem :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

I should have kept it inside to be honest but theres also a lot of other stuff bidding for the indoor spots, sometimes you have to make hard decisions ( well, hard for the plants).
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Ade
Why drop Darren an email to see if you can go pick up a ruby?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes worth a try Steve, Ill check out his website.
DLAMPARD

Post by DLAMPARD »

hi all

just to let you all know we have an open day on saturday 13th june 9am to 4pm
post code so516de abbotts farms.
we have a few musas left .if any one would like to pop down you a welcome.

many thanks
darren
new forest hostas and bananas
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ill be there icon_thumleft