Musa Siam Ruby (Weedby)

stevethelizard

Musa Siam Ruby (Weedby)

Post by stevethelizard »

hello all hows it going? I have hankered after one of these since i saw one on an american website 2 or 3 years ago it cost more than i have left on my morgage .Now thanks to amulree i now have one of my very own but i have read it can be a butter to over winter any tips?? Mark??
P290808_23.56.JPG
Attachments
P290808_23.59.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa siam ruby

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine is doing really well. Repotted it last week and it has rewarded me with two pups. The colour will probably fade as the sun's strength weakens, but defo a nice nana icon_salut It seems to love this warm humid weather with warm nights and has grown a complete new leaf in the last week. I suspected it might have started to slow down by now. :wink:
220808 Siam Ruby 004.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stevethelizard »

hi Dave it was a pic of yours that made me look online for it. I thank you sir icon_salut
ill keep it in the porch for now then and try to get it a bit bigger before the .. no i cant say it!! we havnt had a summer so we cant have a w w winter :roll:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Steve, Good to see you posting again. As you can guess it is not hardy and will need heat for the winter.If its not too big to fit, the bathroom window cill would be ideal as it gets a bit of humidity and warmth. Try to remember not to pull the blind down and trap it behind against the cold glass. Keep an eye out for Red Spider Mite too.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark, mine is bigger than the bathroom windowsill :lol: so won't be going on there, and wife won't let weepers indoors :roll: and everything I want to overwinter weeps :shock: :lol:

This is the pseudostem of the Siam. I like the vertical stripes. also one of the pups in the shot icon_thumleft
300808 Pics 001.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stevethelizard »

hi mark hows it going ? i have had a bit of a busy year takeing on a business from a friend of mine who is retiring so very little time to do anything. I will try it in the greenhouse that will be heated . what do you think is the min temp i should go for 5 or 10c?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Dave, that's great colouring.
Unfortunately mine became Red Spider Mite magnets icon_aaargh
It took a while to get rid of the little butters but the plants are recovering now.
I get the feeling that the Siam Ruby needs a lot more humidity than most nanas.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

musa_monkey wrote:Dave, that's great colouring.
Unfortunately mine became Red Spider Mite magnets icon_aaargh
It took a while to get rid of the little butters but the plants are recovering now.
I get the feeling that the Siam Ruby needs a lot more humidity than most nanas.
MM, I spray occasionally with SB Plant invigorator which is a natural soft soap with hormones and vitamines to help the plant fight off pest attacks. It makes green bananas a really deep green, so I presume it makes Siam Ruby a deeper red. I also stand it in the middleof the lawn and hose off the leaves, top and bottom, every few days. Don't mess around with a mister..... blasts the little bu@@ers off if any are there icon_thumright

In winter I wipe off nana leaves with a washing up sponge with dilute washing up liquid :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Dave,

thanks.........heads off to search for SB plant invigorator :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dave, Thats a cracking picture of the stem icon_thumright Mine for some reason are all still green :( maybe MarkD was right and I got a pot of Cannas

SIMON!!!!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It will be interesting to see who manages to keep them through winter and how they do it.
Marks Canna should prove easier :lol:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mark wrote:Dave, Thats a cracking picture of the stem icon_thumright Mine for some reason are all still green :( maybe MarkD was right and I got a pot of Cannas

SIMON!!!!
Maybe you've got a pot of peridot instead?I'll swop you a green one for a thai one if you'd like mate :wink:
Adrian wrote:It will be interesting to see who manages to keep them through winter and how they do it.
Marks Canna should prove easier :lol:
The easiest way to keep them alive for this year at least is to keep them indoors,worked for me last year.This year I'll try a couple of pups in the greenhouse,but bring the largestr one in again just to play it safe :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

SteveW wrote:Maybe you've got a pot of peridot instead?I'll swop you a green one for a thai one if you'd like mate :wink:
Deal ( goes off down the poly to find a canna that looks like a banana :lol: )

They are not very big 6" or so.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Mark, it may not be cannas but a different kind of nana altogether, Musa 'Siam Emerald' icon_thumleft :lol:

stevethelizard, the colouring of your Siam Ruby looks good already. icon_thumleft Ours were bought the same time as nearly everyone else. It has coloured up but nowhere near as intense as Dave or yours. It's been a busy period for us and we didn't even have time to bring any of our potted bananas out of the greenhouse icon_scratch so it's been in it all this time
NewDSCF5214.JPG
The newest leaf hasn't coloured up on the top surface but the bottom of the leaf is colouring up.
NewDSCF5217.JPG
NewDSCF5218.JPG
Red Spider Mite was starting to get it but fortunately Phytoselius and SB Invigorator did it's magic icon_cheers

It'll go in the house over winter, too tender to be just kept frost free I'm afraid
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark wrote:Dave, Thats a cracking picture of the stem icon_thumright Mine for some reason are all still green :( maybe MarkD was right and I got a pot of Cannas

SIMON!!!!
MARK !!!!!! You picked the one with most pups, not Simon's fault you picked up the wrong species :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, are you sure your stress tactics to enhance variegation are not backfiring icon_scratch Variegation is enhanced by suppressing the natural leaf colour. Siam Ruby you need to enhance the natural leaf colour :wink: I use highish nitrogen, and add a pinch epsom salts every now and again for magnesium which enhances chloropyll production.
A lot of magnesium is derived from dolomite limestone so I am told..... does this mean that ericacious compost will deplete magnesium more quickly as it does not have lime :?: I use a standard pH compost mix icon_salut
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright