SEPARATING MUSA SIAM RUBY PUPS

mushtaq86

SEPARATING MUSA SIAM RUBY PUPS

Post by mushtaq86 »

I got a siam ruby two months ago,from almurie exotics :D ,it was 20cm tall and had 5 pups attached to it, it is 50cm tall now and in my green house, this morning i decided to separate 4 of the pups,three of them bit of the root is attached to them the other one i cut it with no root attached.I have poted them, and watered them by this affternoon all the leaves are hanging down,this is the first time i have done this,can some one give me advice if they are going to be ok, or have i killed them :evil:
Steve in D.C.

Re: SEPARATING MUSA SIAM RUBY PUPS

Post by Steve in D.C. »

They are very easy to propagate , but I find it best to wash all the soil from the roots and it's much easier to see which ones can come off with roots and which ones should be left to develope a bit more. I normally cut all the leaves off the new plants but for the central roller. I park them in the shade for tow weeks or until they have one to two new leaves and then they are ready to go out.
Best of Luck
Steve
p.s. If you look here there should b a couple of Siam Ruby division pics
http://www.bananas.org/gallery/showgall ... ppuser=505
Last edited by Steve in D.C. on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Post by Don »

Mush-It was not really the best time to separate pups now that light levels and heat are dropping. A bit of bottom heat and a dose of Palmbooster will probably get them growing OK. Keep them warm and in good light and don't worry about the dead or drooping leaves, as Steve says chop them off.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

thanks steve and don.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Owen

Post by Owen »

Has everyones plants coloured up as much as Daves?

My plant is dissapointly still only slightly red with green the predominant colour.

Its in sun from about 12 onwards on a table outside- so perhaps this is the limiting factor?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Not to worry Owen mine are all still green :(
Steve in D.C.

Post by Steve in D.C. »

It's the Sun that gets the colour going , age of the plant too.
Here are a couple of pics of my Siam Ruby. Both plants are not in the best shape this. One has had it's pups removed and is growing two more small pups , the other was under another plant and one large pup is mainly green because of lack of Sun.
Attachments
sr.jpg
sr1.jpg
sr3.jpg
Colocasia 'Diamond Head' with new leaf coloured up
Colocasia 'Diamond Head' with new leaf coloured up
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

I dunno Steve, they're looking pretty good! Very well coloured leaves on most of them, too.

I love that Diamond Head, it looks like a glossier more leathery version of Black Magic to me, very nice indeed.

Is that H. 'Vanilla Ice' I see in one of the pics, too? That's doing really well too, gorgeous foliage, as I've said before :lol: Are the leaves starting to get smaller at the top? Perhaps a flower is on its way...

Thanks for posting the pics, take care

Pete