Musa Manii

JonK

Musa Manii

Post by JonK »

Is anybody else growing these?
I've been pretty impressed so far on how well they are overwintering. I've got my 18 month old plants in pots in the garage where temps at times are probably only a degree or 2 above freezing and they are looking just as good as the Sikkimensis and Helen sitting along side them.
I will be planting one out later in the year to give it a proper test.
Anyone else with any experience?
tropical-pete

Re: Musa Manii

Post by tropical-pete »

Not had any experience of this Musa yet, Jon, but I sowed some seeds of it about 3 weeks ago. Nothing up yet (always the optimist!), but it's still very early days! Will let you know if any come up.

Pete
Don

Post by Don »

Yes they are quite robust and overwinter well in a barely frost free greenhouse with the corm nearly dry . From what I have heard I don't think it will survive outside but I suppose it's worth a try.
darran

Post by darran »

Jon, Don

Thats good to hear that M. manii is quite robust, I have got seeds soaking at the moment! Whether I will get any to germinate is another story :roll:
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Mine is still in one piece so far this winter, curiously it seems to be doing a lot better than my Sikki's icon_scratch
Mark

Post by Mark »

My Pots are looking a bit tatty :( Considering they are in the heated poly with all the others.

I too have seed in the prop( just sitting there) and a bag in the airing cupboard ( just sitting there too)

Being an Ornamental it flowers at a fairly low height too (if that makes sense icon_scratch )
Musa Mannii.JPG
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I've had some Chini Champa seed in the heated prop for a couple of months now with zip happening :( but this morning i just had some gloriosa superba seed sprout so not such a bad day :D after all
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mines doing well in the greenhouse,as are most things aprt from the siam rubies and cavendish types.Not really that surprised by these though tbh :roll: