Habitat pix of Wild Bananas in Peninsular M'sia

Troppoz

Re: Habitat pix of Wild Bananas in Peninsular M'sia

Post by Troppoz »

Tog great photos looks all very lush and jungly! Im really into that Callimusa - I am embarressed to say that I have never heard of them before...

The things you learn on this website!!!

More pics please! :DD

Sean
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

Hi Sean,

Callimusa's are found from M'sia to Borneo. There almost 20 sp and heck lots of varieties within the species. In M'sia, we have 2 sp, the M gracilis (4 color forms - White-Purple-Red-Maroon) and M violascens. They all have an erect flower bud and are way weirder than the other ornamental Rhodoclamys. They are all medium sized plants with p-stem from 2.5ft to 6ft which makes them ideal for pot growing. The pix are some of the Callimusa's I own;

This the Musa violascens with a big beautiful Purple bud. The fruits are a milky whitish green and angular in shape. Grows to 5ft p-stem height and has very nice glossy Mid-Green leaves. This sp is still not in cultivation.
M-v.JPG
Musa beccarii, this commonly available as seeds on the net. Mine are wild collected from Sabah. It has beautiful Bright Red flowers and grows to about 5ft in p-stem height.
M-bec.jpg
My current fav, Musa campestris var lawasensis. A natural Super Dwarf which grows only to 2.5ft in p-stem height. The shortest in the family. Comes from the interiors of Sarawak. I love the contrast of the Purple flower bud and the Pure White fruits. Really amazing! Another sp still not available in cultivation.
M-c-v-l.jpg
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tog, Love that Campestris 8) I don't recall seeing that picture on the Org before icon_scratch Must have missed that post.

Keep the pictures coming mate :wink:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

That Dwarf Pisang Mas would be an excellent addition as a houseplant I guess. And as it has a more natural habid as those dwarf cavendish. I love your local pisangs very much as they sell them on the markets in the kampongs. The small sweet pisangs are delicious, not that Cavendish stuff from Central America they sell here in the shops. There is also a very sweet green pisang I ones had in Sumatra. Maybe the best pisang I ever had.

Alexander
Tog Tan wrote:Yo Dave,
I understand the frustrations you guys get with 'naners as I am with the IBS forum and I really feel lucky about growing 'naners here.

Talking about really short 'naners, there is one particular cultivar from here which is not released into the horticulture market. It gets to fruit at 4ft and prefers subdued lighting. It is sort of an heirloom cultivar known as the Dwarf Pisang Mas. I have a plant in my home grown under shade and it has yet to fruit it. It doesn't have the stumpy look of the Dwarf Cav or the Super Dwarf Cav. It is well proportioned like a big plant but in miniature. It is supposed to produce 4 combs or more of very sweet and tasty fruits. I have yet to see any other similar plant of this stature from this region.

This is the Dwarf Pisang Mas. It is already 1 yr old and the p-stem is only 2ft tall. Can't wait for it to fruit.
PMas Dwf.JPG
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

Alexander wrote:That Dwarf Pisang Mas would be an excellent addition as a houseplant I guess. And as it has a more natural habid as those dwarf cavendish. I love your local pisangs very much as they sell them on the markets in the kampongs. The small sweet pisangs are delicious, not that Cavendish stuff from Central America they sell here in the shops. There is also a very sweet green pisang I ones had in Sumatra. Maybe the best pisang I ever had.
[/quote]

Alexander, the small pisang you tried in M'sia is the Pisang Mas and it is the sweetest dessert 'naner here. The green pisang you tried in Sumatra could be either the Pisang Nangka or the Pisang Raja which is an excellent dessert and cooking 'naner. The Pisang Raja is very popular as a deep fried dessert with egg batter.

Key words in Malay :
Pisang = Banana
Mas = Gold
Nangka = Jackfruit as this 'naner has the aroma of the Jackfruit
Raja = King

This is the size of a Pisang Mas! Fat finger sized with thin peel.
A comb of it with the Pisang Raja Udang in comparison.
PMas.JPG
Attachments
Pisang Mas Fruits.JPG
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tog, do the Pisangs contain seeds?
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

Mark wrote:Tog, do the Pisangs contain seeds?
Some of them do and the size like that that of a small ensete seed except they are sterile. The Pisang cultivars here which have seeds occasionally are; Pisang Awak (aka Kluay Nam Wah), Pisang Abu (Saba) and the Pisang Bijik.

Pisang Bijik (Bijik=Seeds) has heck lots of sds and the pulp is extracted for cake making. If you try to eat it, you will end up going to the dentist. :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have/had a Nam wah. Thanks for the info anyway Tog icon_thumright
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

Mark wrote:I have/had a Nam wah. Thanks for the info anyway Tog icon_thumright
Mark, try to get the Dwarf Kluay Nam Wah if you have the chance. It gets only to 5ft p-stem and the fruits are real great tasting, very buttery and not overly sweet like the Pisang Mas. I managed to get the Kluay Nam Wah Dam (Black). It's a weird cultivar whereby when the fruit ripens, it becomes black and crinkly but the pulp inside is perfect. I had the Klauy Nam Wah Ngern (Silver) but due to bad shipping, it died. The fruits are a silvery sky blue. I think there are at least six forms of the Kluay Nam Wah.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

tog tan how many nanas do you have.
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

mushtaq86 wrote:tog tan how many nanas do you have.
Hi mushtaq86, just on cultivars and species about 110+ types. Total plants about 300+, I think.... :D
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Tog Tan wrote:
Hi mushtaq86, just on cultivars and species about 110+ types. Total plants about 300+, I think.... :D
you dont have many do you :lol: :lol: :lol: and more than mark hall :wink:
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

mushtaq86 wrote:
Tog Tan wrote:
you dont have many do you :lol: :lol: :lol: and more than mark hall :wink:
Sorry mate, forgot to add, that's not counting my seedlings, another 300+ I think? icon_scratch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am knocking off many of the extras like my darn Pisang Raja Udang aka Cuban Red (about 150 big ones) which was planted by my business partner cos he likes the color and the taste of the fruits so much. We don't sell any of the fruits and they are goodwill gifts to our friends and mates. Too bad I can't ship ya some!

Personally I am a species collector and I hunt down the heirloom cultivars from M'sia and Thailand. I haven't started on Indonesia yet. Most of the Philippines cultivars are similar to ours so I didn't really bother getting them.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mushtaq, Ask Tog how many Roses he has :lol: :lol:

That is some collection Tog. I remember when you got a 100 cultivars in one day 8)

Maybe one day I will get to see them 8)
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

Mark wrote:Mushtaq, Ask Tog how many Roses he has :lol: :lol:
That is some collection Tog. I remember when you got a 100 cultivars in one day 8)
Maybe one day I will get to see them 8)
I proudly have 4 pots of 6 yr old Roses :mrgreen: And... a couple of thousands of odds and ends.

Hop on the plane and I will see ya tomorrow! :lol: