The Full 'Montbeliardii' (Ensete Montbeliardii)

lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Dave Brown wrote: "Looking forward to the next few warm sunny days" :shock: Are you on holiday? The forecast is below average everywhere, and particularly here. The high pressure to the west which they hoped would spill across us, has been pushed back by the low pressure to the east dragging in cold NE winds and periods of rain. :twisted:
Well according to all forecasts I've seen its going to be sunny, dry and around 20-21C.

Edit:
Just checked metcheck, and Sat-Mon look like they'll be amazing - 23/24C sunny :)

Sunny Exmouth is finally going to live upto its name.

Lucien
Last edited by lucienc on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

lucienc wrote:Its been on a rich diet of worm piddle (from a friends wormery poured in the water butt), and chicken pellets (handful in the water butt once a month). Quite a rich dinner, and seems to have loved it. I think it might have had some tomato feed once or twice as well.
Mmmmmm! Sounds appettizing :lol:
Mine just gets Miracle gro every couple of weeks,well when I remember :roll:
I can't even imagine yet just how big these are actually going get in just one season :D
Hows your Hiniba growing BTW?
All the best Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

SteveW wrote:
lucienc wrote:Its been on a rich diet of worm piddle (from a friends wormery poured in the water butt), and chicken pellets (handful in the water butt once a month). Quite a rich dinner, and seems to have loved it. I think it might have had some tomato feed once or twice as well.
Mmmmmm! Sounds appettizing :lol:
Mine just gets Miracle gro every couple of weeks,well when I remember :roll:
I can't even imagine yet just how big these are actually going get in just one season :D
Hows your Hiniba growing BTW?
All the best Steve
Desert to Jungle has a 'Montbeliardii' in the poly tunnel, so its growing all year. Can't remember if it was David or Rob I met, but he said he chops it down 4 times a year, as it keeps hitting the top.

I didn't think the Hiniba was doing much, but comparing the photos on here its doing well. It stopped growing whilst it filled out the bigger pot with roots, but is now pushing out leaves fast. You should be able to see it ok behind me in the pic above.

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lucienc wrote:
Well according to all forecasts I've seen its going to be sunny, dry and around 20-21C.

Edit:
Just checked metcheck, and Sat-Mon look like they'll be amazing - 23/24C sunny :)

Sunny Exmouth is finally going to live upto its name.

Lucien
mmmm....... 20-21C is just about ok, the long term average for August here is around 22-23C. We reached 16.7C today a reasonable early October max. :roll:

You are looking further ahead as well. I'm on holiday this week, fortunately not going away in UK. Bathroom people coming from tomorrow to rebuild the bathroom. The down side is we have emptied the loft into the garage and I need to do pre MOT checks on my car, which will now have to be done outside. Don't mind working on the car in the cold, but not the rain. :cry:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

This is before I repotted

this after

Great improvement!
But it is very chilly here have had to light my front fire :shock:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

'Montbeliardii' and Hiniba both doing well,thankfully the wind has finally stopped :D :D :D
Next some sunshine
Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Well the new leaf has opened, but its not upto full height yet. Thought it was worth a 'Montbeliardii' update :) Will do another over the weekend when the new leaf is upto full height.

The Hiniba is behind me.

Also for growth rate comparison, here is my Homebase Maurelli bought last Autumn (2006).

This time next year 'Montbeliardii' should be even bigger than that.

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There must be something in your water Lucien :lol: My bananas all seem to be dwarf by comparison.

Dwarf Ensete ventricosum Montbeliardii
300807 Banana Monty.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

That Maurellis a monster :lol:
Are you going to have room for it this year?or are you going to give it the chop?
I've got a new leaf on my 'Montbeliardii',not fully unfurled yet but I reckon its going to be a Bigun.I reckon mines one or two leaves behind yours though,same with the Hiniba.
Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Maurelli is staying in the ground. Its got a choice - survive or die (I may dig it up if it looks bad).

If it dies 'Montbeliardii' will go in to replace it. Otherwise the pampas grass is coming out and 'Montbeliardii' is going in there next spring.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

You're a brave man Lucien,I'd be tempted to lift and store it somewhere as after the worst summer for a while I dread to think what winters going to be like :roll:
Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Its going to be the warmest ever - lol

Well it cost me £7.50 last year - I'm going to pick up another for that price if I spot them again, and overwinter small. I've no idea how to overwinter the biggie !

I did think of covering it, but its leaves are already taller than the pergola and conservatory.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Theres some stretched Maurellis at a Homebase near work that I keep checking to see if their price has dropped.But no luck yet,maybe next week :lol:
You could allways build a heated shelter around it,to keep it snug til spring.
Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Well if we have a winter like last it won't need anything.

Colder and as Mav said before, just a roof would probably get it through.

Real cold, and then I'm going to be so miserable I'm not going to be worried about a banana.

I'm only less than 2 miles from the coast here, and we very rarely get frosts, let alone hard frosts. "Tender" things survived fine in winter 2005/06, so I'm willing to risk another good one :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm getting worried now, the nights are colder than we have experienced over the last few years. I have had -5.1C in October once in the late 90s. :cry:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright